water in oil >

water in oil

Notices

water in oil

Old 04-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
water in oil

I discovered Water in Oil which was traced to significant cracks in exhaust pipes. They have had welds done and pressure tests. There was damage to one cylinder which has been corrected also. Ran the boat today and found some water in the oil after a couple of hours of use. The mechanic said it could be residual from the original problem that was not flushed out with oil change. There is not much as the oil level is not up at all. He is changing the oil and said run it tomorow. Claims I have 180 to 200 compression.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Danny
Old 04-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be, keep ur fingers crossed
Old 04-26-2009, 04:42 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

What type of exhaust did you have welded? What was done to repair the damage to the engine after the initial find of water intrusion? If the engine was repaired and torn down, how can there be any residual water left in there? Just because you have good compression, doesnt mean you dont have water problems, it can still be sucked back in from the exhaust, regardless of how much compression you have.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Registered

I had an engine rebuild last year. The headers are fine, the tail pipe/risers were found to have many cracks. They were repaired and pressure tested. There was only damage to one cylinder and it was beleived to be confined to the top end. They did not do a complete tear down this time.

I will find out today......

Thanks for the note...

Dan
Old 04-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Were your heads off the last engine check/build??? Some times the block can get small crack/cracks near the top of the block under the head near the water jacket. May only show small signs depending on temps and what not. I wouldn't jump to conclutions though however be certain to keep an eye on it. I had a challenger back in 89 with an engine I rebuilt with a crower 1206 cam and it was on a 108 lobe sep. This was before anyone paid much attention to reversion. I would notice a constant water residue on the dipstick and finally figured out it was the cam. What cam are you using?
Old 04-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Possible it is left over. Water can rest in the lifter galley and in the heads, that won't be drained from a simple oil change. Doesn't take much to give it a milky look. If so, another oil change and run time will remove the rest. As long as that is what it is.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Registered

Looks like the water was simply residual from the initial problem..that is the good news. Bad news is that while running I had a couple of back fires and then the engine shut down. IT cranks but will not start.....(at least the oil looked good)......Thanks for the feed back...
Old 04-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

make sure your distributor hold down isn't lose.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by StarLoone
I discovered Water in Oil which was traced to significant cracks in exhaust pipes. They have had welds done and pressure tests. There was damage to one cylinder which has been corrected also. Ran the boat today and found some water in the oil after a couple of hours of use. The mechanic said it could be residual from the original problem that was not flushed out with oil change. There is not much as the oil level is not up at all. He is changing the oil and said run it tomorow. Claims I have 180 to 200 compression.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Danny
If there was water from before and you changed the oil the water would have been the first thing to drain out if you are using the drain on the oil pan