Notices

500 hp

Old 05-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Get it Right Now before you Loose it!

Looks like from these numbers you've got a nice combination in the engine and I think a 800HP @5500 sounds about right. Now to make it last and keep it reliable and safe!
I totally agree with PatriYacht and others here, the air fuels are way to lean if they are being measured correctly and this is where the actual setup and correction needs to be done on the dyno now or in the boat with a wideband to make sure the air fuels stay in a good range or you will burn that nice motor down in a heartbeat!!
The suggestions for a thermostatically controlled larger oil cooler on the engine and sufficient oil pan and oil capacity are also a MUST! The guys are right that this engine will produce peak power at about 5400-5500rpms with that cam and blower combo and you should set the rev -limiter arount 5600 unless you got some special valve train and you might want to prop for about 5500 rpm. Just some thoughts here.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the stock oil cooler. Do you guys have any suggestions on a after market one or will it be ok?

The jets are 90 the guy took the motor off the dyno. He says its fine i trust what you guys are telling me but now i have no idea how to get it right.

So should i not run the index reg? I thought it was just added security. I forgot to mention that i also have the timing set at 28.

My last question is when this all started i was told my final comp would be 11 to 1 now i am told that its 13 to 1

So as far as fuel what should i run i was thinking turbo blue 110 mixed 50 50 with 93 will this be ok or is there a better route to go?

I would like to thank all that is helping me out i am so glad there is a good community at OSO that i can turn to for help and advice!!!! Thanks Jeramy
Old 05-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Timing is a little low at 28. Most guys are using about 30. Too low and you roast your exhaust valves, too high and you have detonation. I'm still not sure what you mean by index reg. Can you give a specific model or manufacturer name or picture? Sounds like a good mix of fuel but I would need to know what your compression ratio is and how many lbs of boost you are running. Are you using an intercooler? If you don't want to modify the carbs yourself send them to a good guy like Nickerson. Oh and a good size oil cooler is the 3x 18 from Eddie Marine.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Timing is a little low at 28. Most guys are using about 30. Too low and you roast your exhaust valves, too high and you have detonation. I'm still not sure what you mean by index reg. Can you give a specific model or manufacturer name or picture? Sounds like a good mix of fuel but I would need to know what your compression ratio is and how many lbs of boost you are running. Are you using an intercooler? If you don't want to modify the carbs yourself send them to a good guy like Nickerson. Oh and a good size oil cooler is the 3x 18 from Eddie Marine.

The regulator i was told is a boost reference regulator that will pump 1 lb of fuel for every pound of boost it senses. Witch i am told is gonna lower my AF ratio. The static comp is 9.1 with 8.2 pounds of boost final comp is gonna be 13 to 13.7 is what i was told. I have consider going witha larger pulley on top witch would put me at around 7 lbs of boost at a final comp of around 12.7 again this is what i was told.

What should i run for fuel? also would i benefit from adding a thru hall water pick up?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,969 Likes on 990 Posts

Get a pulley to reduce the boost to below 6# and run pump fuel and spin it up to about 5600rpms. Keep the smaller pulley and get a second prop for when you want to run race fuel.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:48 AM
Registered

My pulley choices are are 3.35 witch should put me at 7 lbs then it goes to 3.60 witch is 5.2 lbs of boost.

I am worried about loosing a lot of power going to the 3.60 pulley.

If the motor can handle the 7 lb or the 8.2 lb on race fuel thats the rout e i will go i have a friend i can get it from that its only a 1.00 a gallon more than 93. What do you guys think?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Registered

If you don't mind the hassel go ahead and run the race fuel and high boost. It should be ok but problems always happen faster and more severe at higher boost. From the sound of it you are going to need help tuning this engine. Where are you located? Maybe we can help you find someone. Btw, a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator is for blow thru the carb applications like Procharger or turbocharged not roots type blowers. A Bravo water pickup can move a lot of water so it should be ok. Maybe change to a cooler thermostat. Arizona Speed and Marine has a 120 degree thermstat.

Last edited by PatriYacht; 05-13-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:49 AM
Registered

I live by peoria I'll
I just thought I would lose a lot of power going to the 5
Lb and with seven lb I Would need to run race gas. I will go with what you guys recomend .
Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Registered

There is a guy in West Michigan, Dave Wessledyke, I think his company is called Wesco, who is one of the best at building and tuning marine engines. I know 10x here on the board went to him for his most recent set of engines. The more I think about it, you need to get away from the guys that set up your engine. 9.1 compression, 8.2 lbs of boost, no intercooler and lean fuel mixture is an engine failure waiting to happen. It can be tuned to run on a mixture of race gas and premium but your margin for error will be small. Take it to someone who really knows what they are doing.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,969 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by ubet28
My pulley choices are are 3.35 witch should put me at 7 lbs then it goes to 3.60 witch is 5.2 lbs of boost.

I am worried about loosing a lot of power going to the 3.60 pulley.

If the motor can handle the 7 lb or the 8.2 lb on race fuel thats the rout e i will go i have a friend i can get it from that its only a 1.00 a gallon more than 93. What do you guys think?
You should still make at least 700hp running 5.2# of boost. Your drive will be happier as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.