Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496HO Crank Position Sensor Problems??? >

496HO Crank Position Sensor Problems???

Notices

496HO Crank Position Sensor Problems???

Old 03-26-2002, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If these sensors are easy to get to, then the first thing I would do is swap good with suspect to see if the problem follows the sensor just as 288 describes. That's where having twins will be advantageous.

Hey 288, I have only seen diagrams of where the thing is installed. On diagrams it sort of looks like it is right behind the port cylinder head. Is it fastened to the head? - to the block? - what kind of wiring comes out of it?
Old 03-26-2002, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone know the OEM manufacturer or vendor for these CPS's....It seems that Ford is also having a hard time with theirs like Ken said on the PSD's....wonder if they're somehow related???

Looks like yet another item for the spare parts tool box.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:05 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a single wire harness and yes it's near the port cylinder head sort of like it's sitting over the bell housing. I've never changed it personally just climbed back there and had it pointed out to me. I think I'm gonna be tracking down a supplier just in case mine craps out. I'd hate to have to be waiting a few weeks for some BS part to come in stock....

Rick
Old 03-26-2002, 05:49 PM
wms

Rick, lets not get ahead of ourselves. They have not diagnosed the problem yet. Although, after describing my symptoms to Dave at Beach Marine his reply was "could be a bad batch of CPS's, I will call my buddy at GM to see if they have experienced this".

The part is supposed to be here by Thursday, so if they can get it installed I could be back on the water by this weekend. I am trying not to get my hopes up.....weather is looking beautiful.

Macklin

Old 03-27-2002, 01:44 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

I hear ya Macklin. Though reading the posts above it seems the CPS is a likely candidate. I hope it's isolated and quickly fixed in time for a better day on Saturday...Cup is half full....

Rick
Old 03-27-2002, 07:20 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to look into having a spare sensor if Mac's turns out to be bad. My motors are a few months earlier, but I'd rather be prpared. If the part retails f/ $90, then wholsale is more like $60.

Cheap insurance.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 03-27-2002, 03:26 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Macklin & Bill. Great idea on the spare. With two puppy's onboard there's a slight chance the other may go tits up as well. Murphy sez it'll happen at the worst possible time....

Rick
Old 03-27-2002, 05:52 PM
Kentz

Do any of you have the latest Merc TSB on the "engine may not shut-off"? Got mine after it went into storage.

If any of your boats get checked for this, please post what they are looking for! I don't won't to hear another, "just plug in Merc scan tool", its real quick!

Thanks

Old 03-28-2002, 01:25 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Hmmm. Yeah exactly what was that about, I forget?....
Old 03-28-2002, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kentz,
I got the notice as well about 1/2 year ago. I haven't got that done yet, either. 102 hours so far, no problems at all!

The recall said something to the effect of "Engine may have a tendancy to not turn off when ignition is switched off and the key is removed." That's from memory, but it's as simple as that.

Quick Reply: 496HO Crank Position Sensor Problems???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.