Notices

Oil pumps

Old 05-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pumps

Is an automotive oil pump the same as a marine. I've got 08' 6.2's . The oil pump is from the local auto shop for a 99' 350 sbc.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 197 Likes on 122 Posts

Austin,
The pumps are basically the same but .... a few years ago GM asked Melling to remove some weight from the pumps for the truck applications. When they did so, it really made the pump weaker and although it worked fine in the intended applications, they started breaking in high HP / RPM use. If you look at the two pumps, the difference is pretty easy to see. The "support" part of the pump that joins the main pump body to the part that bolts to the engine is substantially lighter and thinner, that is where they break.

So .... if the 6.2 uses a standard volume pump, and the pump your parts store has is an older one that has been sitting around, you might be ok. Just look at both of them. Otherwise I would go with one of the Melling select pumps, they have the heavier casting.

I think that Melling used to have this info on thier web site, haven't looked lately.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info