What trim tabs should I use????? >

What trim tabs should I use?????

Notices

What trim tabs should I use?????

Old 03-25-2002, 11:17 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What trim tabs should I use?????

I am a little confused on what tabs to use. I wanted to go with the 280s k plains but they will end up just over one of the strakes. and the hydrolic lined will be running right into one of the stringers. I could do some modifications and make them work but is it worth it. I thought about going with the Edie marine Billet trim tab. They are 12 X 16" and they wont get in the way of anything but....... they have not started production and wont be for several months Then there is the Edie Marine K Plain that is 12 X 21" I don't think I have the $$$ for them and i think they are a bit long . I also notice that Trim Master has a 12 X 16 trim tab. I had a set of 12 X 12" on my old boat and was very happy with there product. but this boat will be running close to the 80's and I don't know how well they will hold up. As for Bennett tabs I just don't like them. Are there any other manufactures out there other than these??????

I would like to go with the 12 X 16 Trim Master tabs and was thinking of adding a triangle shape steel extension to the transom mounting bracket so that I can through bolt it to the transom for some extra durability like a set of trim tabs, but how well will the rams hold up???

What other choices do I have ?????

I once seen a Checkmate with a heavy duty style trim tab but never got the name of the manufacture.

By the way this is for a 28 Scarab Excel
Old 03-25-2002, 11:20 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to cause any more confusion but how about Durratab, or Keith Eickhart tabs or even Arnesson Rocker tabs......

Jon
Old 03-25-2002, 11:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about:

http://www.lencomarine.com/

???
Old 03-25-2002, 11:46 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

insptech now that is what I was looking for. They look like what I was going to make the Trim Master's into. They have a 17 X 12 heavy duty race tab but no pricing. the one thing I don't like is that it is only a single ram. I will call them tomorrow and see if they say it is strong enough. They have a 19 X 14" one with twin rams but then I run into the problem with it being two wide. They look nice and easy to install. Light weight and no pumps or hoses, fully electric.

Has anyone here used a set?????

Last edited by Hot Boat; 03-26-2002 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:20 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

There's also Duraplane's....
Old 03-26-2002, 09:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

"I wanted to go with the 280s k plains but they will end up just over one of the strakes."

Hotboat, Is that a problem? Take a look on how mine are mounted.
Attached Thumbnails What trim tabs should I use?????-kplane.jpg  
Old 03-26-2002, 11:45 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

BTW, they don't effect the strakes whatsoever. Planes are only effecting the water that has already traveled the length of the hull and has departed....
Old 03-26-2002, 12:09 PM
Registered

Dana Marine makes some billet trim tabs that a lot of the so cal custom boat builders use. I'll see if I can dig up a picture...They're very similar to the eddie marine tabs
Old 03-26-2002, 04:22 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

I would much rather go with the 280 k plains. I think they are better for resale when its time to sell the boat. If it don't mater if they are mounted over the strake's then that is a good thing. I can mount them inware a bit more with out any problums. I thought they were supposed to mount at the inside of the chime I now see that it don't matter.

As for mounting them,were would the best location be. does it mater how close the are to the drive. Is it better to keep them close together ( as long as they don't touch the drive) or as far apart as I can make them????? what is best?????

Thanks for the help

Paul

Old 03-26-2002, 05:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far to the outside as possible for best leverage.

Quick Reply: What trim tabs should I use?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.