Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo Drain Plug Leaking >

Bravo Drain Plug Leaking

Notices

Bravo Drain Plug Leaking

Old 05-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure the exact year of the drive. If I had to guess without checking the numbers I'd say it is something around an 88 as is the boat. There is no resevoir. Guess the next step would be to drain the oil and take a good look at where the gasket is supposed to be seating. If all appears ok, I'll try a new plug and maybe that larger gasket that west marine carrys. Threads seem to be good and tight. Not stripped or anything. I'm just getting a little leak around the plug when I have the plug in as tight as i can get it.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tmdog
Geronimo- Lay off the peace pipe. He already mentioned he had a Bravo drive. He's talking drain plug and your talking spanner nut.
Proceed to do what Blue Thunder suggests.
Your response shows you really don't know what you're talking about. Read H2X response and go back to school cause you have no idea what you're talking about. I used to be a merc. service tech........

Last edited by Panther; 05-24-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ptlmveng
Not sure the exact year of the drive. If I had to guess without checking the numbers I'd say it is something around an 88 as is the boat. There is no resevoir. Guess the next step would be to drain the oil and take a good look at where the gasket is supposed to be seating. If all appears ok, I'll try a new plug and maybe that larger gasket that west marine carrys. Threads seem to be good and tight. Not stripped or anything. I'm just getting a little leak around the plug when I have the plug in as tight as i can get it.
Is your plug on the side of the lower case or below the propshaft? It sounds like you have the old drive.

It's not a permanent fix but you can also try wrapping the plug with teflon tape, sometimes that can help. I even saw a customer marine tex a plug in once but I wouldn't recommend that.

Let us know how you make out.

Last edited by Panther; 05-24-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Registered

The plug is below the prop shaft on an angle. Almost at the lowest point before the skeg.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

any luck getting it sealed up?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Registered

Default Be Careful.

Using a thicker gasket might fix it but it will also cause the plug to have less threads on which to tighten. There's only 3-3 1/2 threads holding it in as it is by the time you use a regular gasket..

I tried this once and didn't like how it felt but it's obviously your call.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM
mjb
Registered

I have had the same nagging problem on my bravo's. I took some sandpaper and wraped it around the eraser of a pencil and then put the pencil in my drill. Carefully insert the eraser and spin the drill to smooth the mating surface of the gasket. Mine had small scratches that was causing it to leak. Smoothing it out and using a new gasket solved the problem. Hope it helps.
MB
Old 05-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Registered

I haven't got around to looking at it yet, thanks to work and a 7month old, but plan on doing it in the morning. I'm hoping that when I get the oil drained out and can take a good look at the surface that the gasket seals against, it'll be something simple. Seems simple: gasket must sit flat against both the carrier surface and plug head. I have my fingers crossed cause I'm planning on having it fixed before the weekend. Thanks for all the input. I'll definetly let everyone know how I make out.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Registered

That seems to have fixed it. So Far! Gotta check it in a few days, but I'm pretty sure that did it. Must have been the the threads on the old plug cause both surfaces seemed ok, but the new plug went in alot smoother. I think it was cross threaded at some point and fouled the threads on the plug, forcing it to go in on an angle everytime. The new plugs come with a rubber gasket vs. the older felt ones. Once again thanks for all the feedback. I'm sure I'll be asking for help again in the future. Thats the joys of boating.

B-bring
O-out
A-another
T-thousand