Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
is this too much oil psi? >

is this too much oil psi?

Notices

is this too much oil psi?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[FYI]Just To help you out a little bit All Mercruiser engine oil specks that I have ever remembered reading in a service manual is from 4 [psi] up to [80] psi On all their engines as standered specks. But a normal engine will read as low as [20] psi hot at idle up to 70 max [psi] when reved. Also I remember all the [HP] engines always seem to run right around 45 to 50 psi hot at idle and up to 75 to almost 80 [psi] hot when reved up, And also up to the low 80s cold when reved up. A 100 psi reading dose seem a little over the top [IMHO] and the part Raylr said about the oil being thrown around is varry ture and it will be a problem at some point. And last but not least the last thing you want to do after a nice day of boating is to clean up oil every time, If and when it finds a way to get out of the engine and into the bilge and you know it will. Well I hope all this info helps you out some, Because after all it's up to you if you truly want to lower it down some or not. Good luck with it.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I' ll tell this I just pulled a distributor today on a boat 2004 38 top gun with 572N/A 725 HP, top engine builder from FL, I warned the owner of running high oil press 0-80 gauge pegged at idle found the timing retarding it's self, dist. gear shot! worn out, cam gear the same. The reason I know this is from going into the other engine last year from the flame arrestor coming apart and going through the engine. Tore it down and repaired it upon testing the oil pump found it to about break my wrist testing the pressure 100 psi plus, checked the by-pass spring and found a degreeing bushing in it alittle over .200" thick, pump housing showed wear, called the builder about it he agreed he did that to all his engines installed new pump with about 70 psi on test. warned the customer of the problem with high oil press, so now it's pull the other engine and make repairs. Let you know the rest after it's apart. the rule of 10 psi oil pressure for every 1000 rpms really doesn't apply in todays endurance engines.