Trim pump problems

Notices

Trim pump problems

Old 05-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim pump problems

Hello

I need some help, I have newer style Kiekhaefer trim tabs on my boat and the pumps look like standard Mercury trim pumps. This weekend one pump started acting up. The motor runs fine in both position up and down, but the tab barely moves.
When the tab does finally made it's way to the fully up position, the pump makes a loud screeching noise.

The fluid is crystal clear, checked the tab for any binding, and it's fine.

I'm thinking that it's a bad pump. Does anyone have any experience trouble shooting trim pumps and can they be rebuilt?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Registered

Anyone?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The pumps can be rebuilt, but it is a bit@h. I usually just replace them. Did you just install the tabs? It sounds like there is some air in the system. Generally, either the pump works or it doesn't. Usually no in between. Check all of your hose connections for leaks. If there is even a slight leak, it will pull air in and not move very quickly. Hope this helps, Eddie.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Registered

The tabs have been on the boat for a while. Never thought of an air. That is just how it's acting. I'll check all the lines and hopfully I 'll find a loose one and that will be it.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'd suggest you take a look at the Mercruiser manual which has a simple,but excellent section on troubleshooting. Yes,the pumps can be rebuilt. You can buy the parts or have them rebuilt and pressure checked. Dollar Offshore used to do them and I'd suspect that BAM also does them. Having said that, I'd bet that you have air in the system. I doubt you'll find a loose line. Usually, its just the opposite where even flare nut wrenches won't loosen the lines as you follow the bleeding procedure. Leaking seals on the rams are common. The rams can also be rebuilt. Not seeing the boat, anything's possible, but the trouble shooting procedure is very thorough in the Merc Manual. Just tryin' to help.....
Old 05-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wow! IT was obviously too early in the morning to confuse tabs with trim operation! At least the advice on rebuilding the pumps was ok and there was some free advice on trim problems! Time for some coffee!