valve spring swap question plasic seal thingy >

valve spring swap question plasic seal thingy

Notices

valve spring swap question plasic seal thingy

Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default valve spring swap question plasic seal thingy

u am swaping out my springs right now and there are those round back seal type of things at the bottom of the valve stem inside of the spring, the new springs are dual springs so do i just toss those seals or do i need to do something ese for them?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have to ask you shouldn't be changing springs. hate to say it but that sounds like somthing my better half would say when she's helping me tear down motors
Old 06-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Registered

why woudnt i change them??? i kinda have to change them in order to switch to my new cam...... its not rocket science to chang out springs
Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Registered

another question, the bronze bearing deals at the bottom, they have a edge that come up that the center spring is sitting on, is that gona be a issue?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Registered

They are called "valve stem seals"...they keep oil from entering the combustion chamber. Most guys dont use the cheap, junky, rubber ones, and opt for the teflon ones..but the heads have to be taken apart and cut for them. Do you know anything about adjusting valves ? Sure, changing springs isnt "rocket science", but you seem to be just barely holding your head (no pun intended) above water when it comes to valve train knowledge. After your done...have a knowledgeable person look over your work.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Registered

I guess my first thoughts were you don't just toss a valve seal regardless of what you are adding. the only thing that may require new valve seals is if they have an integrated valve seat, which I doubt they do with a cast iron head. Those are more typical with aluminum heads that have not been heat treated to a T5 or T6 level. adding conical springs may create interfearance with the existing seals depending on there diameter, but I think you should be OK. But since your replacing the springs you should consider spending a few extra dollars and go ahead and change them as well. New cam has nothing to do with needing new valve seals.

Last edited by Hot Stepper; 06-02-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes a new cam might need different springs. Depends on the lift, recomended seat pressure. Also don't forget to check the spring installed height.
If I was going though all that work I would do a valve job also and check the guides.

Last edited by 1BIGJIM; 06-02-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Registered

i am using isky 8205 springs and the stem seals do not appear to fit in there..... i have brand new seals sitting here but they look just like he stock ones. this ma be a umb question bu i have not heard of adjusing valve springs, this is not my first head job doing springs but it is my first big block which i dont think is too much different. for those thinking i am a huge retard that should not be touching motors i have a haf a dozen motors amongst me and my friends that i have put together from the ground up and have no issues, just mosty small chevy motors and a olds or 2. i have never ran into this issue on the other heads i ave done. i was told that i needed springs for the crane 731 cam going in, using isky 8205s with comp cams retainers and 10 degree locks, gen vi conversion studs and scorpion roller rockers
Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Registered

big jim, i was gonna do a valve job but the motor ony had 50 hours and looks like new inside and since i am on a budget and pan to run the motor for only a season or 2 i am gonna skip the machine work this round. where in nebraska are you?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Registered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.