High Oil Temp...2000 32' Fountain Fever

Notices

High Oil Temp...2000 32' Fountain Fever

Old 06-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Oil Temp...2000 32' Fountain Fever

Hello All,
I have a 2000 32' Fountain Fever -twin Mercruiser 502's.
The engines in my Fountain have oil temp gauges. One of the gauges runs hot 240-290. I replaced oil cooler, oil sender,oil temp gauge....still no luck..
Can someone please help...
Thanks...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Registered

theres a big dif between 240 which is just fine and 290 which is heading a little further north than i would like...

and it would help to know what it used to do under the same or similar conditions... and what the other motor does...

at any rate... the first thing i would do is switch the sending units from motor to motor and see if the numbers remain the same...
Old 06-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
theres a big dif between 240 which is just fine and 290 which is heading a little further north than i would like...

and it would help to know what it used to do under the same or similar conditions... and what the other motor does...

at any rate... the first thing i would do is switch the sending units from motor to motor and see if the numbers remain the same...
The other motor runs about 200...I switced the sending units and that didnt help...
Old 06-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Change the oil filter. I have seem them collapse the element inside and slow the rate of flow a ton..

Nordic95
Old 06-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Registered

well... i never like to see things change dramatically. if the motor used to run 200 ( borderline too cold) and now suddenly and for no apparent reason it changes 40 to 90 degrees, then for me, thats a bad sign. there could be a lot of reasons. some very scary and some not so bad. so... if you really believe the numbers and by that i mean you switch sending units and gage heads ( just switch the wires) and you convince yourself that the numbers are real then the first thing i would do is switch coolers. if the problem still persists then do all the easy stuff... change the filter and cut up the old one and see if there is any trash in it. change the oil and see what comes out. run it between your fingers and if it feels gritty and watery, or smells like dead fish, then thats a bad sign...

nothing happens for no reason. if the symptoms are real and there is no easy fix like a bad filter or oil full of fuel or water, and the cooler change doesn't do anything , then the only remaining conclusion is that the thermal load has increased by an order of magnitude. and if the the water temp has remained good then it sounds like you are looking at losing the bottom end for some reason... probably a rear or center main bearing.... either way, once you decide you believe the symptom, you need to have the discipline to not keep starting it and running it in the hopes that the bottom end fairy fixed it while you slept. take it out and drop the pan and see whats going on before you blow it up and ruin your day. you have been smart so far catching it early... keep up the good work.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I assume your water temp is OK? If you have blockage in the water line like impeller pieces in the oil cooler that could cause problems.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
I assume your water temp is OK? If you have blockage in the water line like impeller pieces in the oil cooler that could cause problems.
The water temp is fine...