Engine Not drawing water

Notices

Engine Not drawing water

Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Not drawing water

Need some suggestions..

Finally got the my motor fired up, but it's not drawing water. i've installed a brand new impella, but still not drawing the water.. but i've only allowed the motor to run for at least 30seconds or so, i've check the hoses, and it does not seem to have any blockage, but i will check again today.. i was thinking either filling a large basin and allowing the motor to draw water that way or running to hose throught the hose that goes tho the impella and running water that way and see what happens. and the impella is turning the right way..

thanks
Attached Thumbnails Engine Not drawing water-latest-pics-825.jpg  
Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

air leak somewhere or hoses backwards.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Registered

Do you have a cooler and / or strainer installed? Any other points in the water lines that can kink or get blocked before the motor? Have you tried turning the motor over with the output hose of the pump disconnected to make sure the pump is pushing stuff out? Have you tried swapping the pump hoses and just seeing what that does?

There's plenty of stuff to check and confirm that you can do without running the engine. Pop out the t-stat if you have one and hook a garden hose up to the pump's intake hose, water should fill the system then flow out the exhaust. If it doesn't, you have a blockage you need to find. If it does, try the pump tests. If the pump fails that simple test, fix it ans start your checks again.

Good Luck!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Registered

Don't have a strainer but, i do have the stock Mercrusier cooler installed. ruuning the serpentine belt system. but i will give it a check today. is there a special fitting to connect the garden hose to the intake of the water pump..

thanks
Old 06-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Registered

I know sounds stupid but check the 2 hoses going into raw water pump. Done this myself one time and swore I had them right. Seems they got twisted under the motors and could not tell for sure.
Also insure you have good water pressure coming from garden hose if using. If boat sitting in water insure boat drive is in water as deep as it usually runs. The hydrostatic head of a couple of feet of water makes a difference in helping pump suck the water up. Been there on this also when my boat is on lift.
There is a small hose that goes through the gimbal housing that has a plastic sleeve of sorts that I have seen the hose/sleeve get collapsed. It is behind the hose connection on the gimbal backing plate on the inside of boat.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Registered

Is the block filled? If there is no water in the block it will take longer than 30 seconds to get water through the whole system. I would fill the block at the thermostat opening until its full first.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Registered

When I install a new engine it will never prime from the muffs on the outdrive. I always have to remove the intake hose from the transom and put a garden hose down it to get the pump primed. After that first time it will alway prime fine on the muffs unless I replace the pump or something. If I fill the intake hose with water before installing the engine it will prime usually, but I always forget to do that.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Did you make sure the little flaps/ears on your new impeller are pointing in the right direction when you put it back together.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Did you make sure the little flaps/ears on your new impeller are pointing in the right direction when you put it back together.

A buddy did this exact thing. Wiped the impeller out instantly.

Darrell.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Registered

Yeah the flaps r going the right way. and i guess since it's a new motor it's taking awhile to prime.. i been thru 2 impellas already :-(.. but this time i'm filling the motor and running the hose through the intake hose just to make sure..

But thanks for the input..

Q

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.