5.0 Volvo Penta Won't Run >

5.0 Volvo Penta Won't Run

Notices

5.0 Volvo Penta Won't Run

Old 06-15-2009, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.0 Volvo Penta Won't Run

I have 1999 VP 5.0GL (SBC) w/ ~900 hrs on it and took boat out Wednesday after work and ran fine for while (2 hrs) and when idling for while when switching riders it would hesitant and miss when pulling rider up. (wake board boat). I have put about 18 hs on new ignition stuff (coil and module). Would always clear out and pull strong after 1st hesitation. Once when pulling up rider under load after long idle it popped thru carb once so figured was slightly lean on bottom so fatted the idle screws up. Next rider ran better then after while pulling up rider and ran ~10 minutes). Next rider it missed badly and shut totally off. Fired right back up and revved OK. Started to head to the ramp w/o rider and sat and idles while put stuff away and when tried to leave it shut off, now wouldn't restart, kinda stumbled and acted like ran out of fuel so checked fuel pump and was not running when engine cranked. Jumped the pump @ relay it high current draw and pump didn't run so towed back. Next day after work pump ran, thought it was intermittent pump and replaced it anyhow. (had one fail right after I bought boat 5 yrs ago so figured not totally uncommon for VP pumps to fail). I replaced pump today and still wouldn't run. Has spark, but looks kinda weak. Replaced all plugs thinking maybe they loaded up and still wont run. There is fuel in the carb when pump accelerator pumps so it has fuel now for sure. I even tried some fuel in carb throat thinking maybe float stuck but not even a sputter so all is left is ignition and compression. I took center lead off coil will jump about 1/8"maybe 1/4" and has little yellow in it. Is that too weak to fire under compression????
+ Background : I recently had ignition module fail and replaced it and coil with MSD Blaster coil. Maybe new module got killed by MSD coil? Maybe I have a bad new module, I bought it online and when it arrived I realized why it was 75 dollars and not 200 as it was after market and potting on underside was not the best.

I am thinking now maybe I will OEM coil and module , plus a cap and rotor for good measure while I messing with it. Hard too believe cap and rotor could shut it off though after basically running fine.

I am supposed to take boat to the Keys in 2 weeks so pressure is on to get it reliable. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.