bronse shavings >

bronse shavings

Notices

bronse shavings

Old 06-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bronse shavings

found bronze in oil filter want to know if the distributer in a carb hp 500 has a bronze gear before i plan on new valve guides.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Registered

I don't think so. Bearing material is bronze in color and is what I would suspect the material in your filter to be.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Registered

My distributors on my HP500 carb'd motors DIDN'T have bronze gears.

Like BT said, I'd think more of bearing material. Valves guides wear, but unless one broke off above the cylinder head.... I doubt what your seeing in a valve guide. If it broke off in the port it would either get pushed out the exhaust or into the chamber and eventually pushed out there.... it would have very little chance of actually making it into the oil system.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Registered

Could also be from bushings in dist.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds more like bearing material to me....
Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brians fever
found bronze in oil filter want to know if the distributer in a carb hp 500 has a bronze gear before i plan on new valve guides.

If its bearing material, I would think it would have alot of shinny metal also,the top layers could be a tin flash or overlay,could have nickel,aluminum 2nd barrier.I'm Not sure of the indium color? then bronze color stuff.

if its down to the bronze looking copper.the above 'shinny' would of came first.

Wouldn't the oil pressure drop if the bearings were down to the copper?

The bronze would be inside of the housing

Valve guides,Im with niceguy

Take a picture of the bronze
Attached Thumbnails bronse shavings-whipples-3-15-05-001-large-.jpg   bronse shavings-bearing.jpg   bronse shavings-rodbearing-brassed-out.jpg  

Old 06-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Registered

it seems to me that if i found hard metal trash in my oil filter, my question wouldn't be " gee , i wonder if its bronze or copper ?"

my question would be , " can someone please find my 7/16 deep socket so i can get this pan off and actually see what's going on inside my very expensive motor..."
Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Registered

Hey Rob, not to get this off topic, but yes oil pressure might drop a little, but most (even myself) have chalked it up to several different things... ie oil is hot, so it thins.... this is different oil than last time.... maybe the oil needs to be changed... and so on. In one of my motors, the rod bearings were completely gone in 3 rods (which welded themselves to the crank) and the motor had decent oil pressure until right at the end... say around 40 psi at idle and 60 at 4k.

My point is (and so far we have all agreed) if you find metal in the pan.... it's time to find out EXACTLY where it is coming from before running the engine anymore.