thingy the oil filter screws into??? >

thingy the oil filter screws into???

Notices

thingy the oil filter screws into???

Old 03-29-2002, 12:48 AM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another drawback to the Fram, in my opinion, is that the actual filter media is held together by thin cardboard end pieces that are glued in place.

A better quality filter like the Wix, Mobil1 or Delco PF35L, has metal end caps that hold the media together.

This filter study is very informative. For those who hav'nt read it, you should!!

Bill272, Thanks for posting it again!

Eric
Old 03-29-2002, 08:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Puder, I flipped mine over and mounted it to my CMIs. The filter is easy to get to, and doesn't look bad sitting on the front of the engine..
Attached Thumbnails thingy the oil filter screws into???-portengsm.jpg  
Old 03-29-2002, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Bill- Thanks a bunch for the link to the oil filter study!! informative, eye opening stuff! Allot of my friends will be logging on to OSO to check this study out! Thanks again.....Doug
Old 03-29-2002, 09:02 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hell I didnt know Fram filters were built that way.
I have a fram on my yukon but its like a 10.00 synthetic
filter media, most expensive one in the store,
I thought it was a equal to the mobil 1 filter
I always use mobile 1 oil in my truck and have considered it for the boat but have been told not to use it.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:30 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Steve, your motors look AWESOME!!!!

Can't wait to see it at SML!

Eric
Old 03-29-2002, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

What I did with mine was make a C bracket that sliped over the filter bracket and uses the original mounting holes. I drilled a hole in the back of the c and bolted it to my transom.had to rerun the hoses but if you change the hoses around the hoses you have will work. Just watch that you dont get the flow wrong. It looks real clean and doesn't spill any oil when changing the filters.
Old 03-30-2002, 09:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks, Eric. I got the second motor fired Friday afternoon. So now I have two engines but no upholstery. Bean bag chairs are looking more and more like a reality...
Old 04-05-2002, 08:40 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default WOW!!!

After reading that study, I'm scared to death to put another Fram on my engines. But here's the rub:

I have a pair of 454Magnums, 1989's with about 600 hours on them. I've used only Fram PH30's except for 1 time I couldn't buy them. But then again, I change my oil and filter every 40 hours religiously. So is the longevity of the motors due to the frequency of the changes?

The only time I every switched was to a Purolator, which had larger holes and subsquently seemed/appeared to lower my oil pressure. Went back to the Frams and pressure went back up. The writer mentions the Wix have larger holes, will this drop my oil pressure?

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 04-06-2002, 03:17 PM
Registered

Cool

Has anyone on this board ever had a Fram filter fail? Or have direct knowledge of one failing?

I've used Fram Filters for 32years and have NEVER had a problem.

Just tore down my 600Hour 454 Mag (for a cam upgrade) that I've always used Fram filters on and the cam and bearing surfaces were PERFECT, looked like they had just been broken in.

I always let my engine warm up before planeing off and cool down before shutting off. Straight40 Castrol changed twice a season, around 100hours.

Last edited by RickR; 04-06-2002 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2002, 03:53 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I feel a little better because I thought I was the only one who's had success with the Fram's. Even in my cars, each has gotten at least 150,000 miles (4 of them since 1976) on Fram oil filters.

I don't mean to sound like an advertisement. Because if it is an inferior filter compared to others, it must be the frequency of oil changes and the fact I put a new filter on at every change. 40 hours on the boat, and every 3000 miles on the cars.

It's possible most people don't change the filter as often, or don't change oil as often and if this is the norm, then an inferior filter will not perform over the long run. Just a guess on my part. Maybe time for a post/poll to find out.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."

Quick Reply: thingy the oil filter screws into???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.