Notices

thingy the oil filter screws into???

Old 04-08-2002, 12:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Now I'm confused.
I've used Fram Filters for many years, lots of miles passed under my wheels and I've never experienced a filter failure, that I know of. I've never had and oil related problem so I assume I haven't had a failure.
I've heard stories of poeple who did but not personally.
The article mentioned that Fram uses a "crush" type bypass valve that once opened doesn't close again.
Ok, but it didn't mention how much pressure is required to open it.
I know that auto engines usually run around 45 psi oil pressure. My 350 Mag engine runs around 60 psi at cruise speed.
Is that close to the bypass pressure? Does anyone know? How much pressure does it take?
Old 04-08-2002, 01:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I searched the web and found his site.
I used to go to a "MiniMopar" website dedicated to the 2.2 Mopar engined cars. My wife at the time had a Dodge Daytona Shelby Z, 2.2 w/turbo.
I read his coclusions several years ago, way before he was asked to shut it down. I even posted his address on several other message boards when discussions about filters came up. He was against Fram Filters back then too.
He also made a comment about the Purolator PureOne filter maybe causing a pressure drop because of the tight filter pleats. He's correct, I experienced it on the Dodge. Next oil change I wnet back to a regular Purolator and pressure went back up.
Watch out for that one.