VHF Handheld or Fixed Mount >

VHF Handheld or Fixed Mount

Notices

VHF Handheld or Fixed Mount

Old 06-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VHF Handheld or Fixed Mount

In these days of increased cel phone coverage, I am wondering what route to go for a replacement of my VHF radio.
The old one crapped out (fixed mount) Price is the same either way for a new one or a hand held but the power difference is huge. 25 watt for a fixed mount vs 5 watt max for a hand held.
If you really had to talk to somebody because some really bad stuff was happing I'd probabley want a fixed mount. But I don't leave it on all day in the boat. (too annoying listening to people ask others what bay they are in) On the plus side a hand held would be handy at the 2 or 3 Off-Shore races I attend to check out whats going on.
What is everybody else doing now?
Old 06-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Registered

I went Handheld- Besides going form boat to boat My kids can take it on the jet ski
Just my opinion.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Registered

I just picked up a Standard Horizon HX 850S. It has DSC, floats, GPS, and 6 watt output. Registering the DSC was easy and if you get into trouble, you pull up the cover, hit the button, and an emergency message goes out showing your position.
Cost about $200 but the added safety features, float, and 6 watt ouput ia nice. The GPS display only shows LAT and LONG but it can double as a great ditch bag item.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:56 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to be boating more than a mile from shore then I would recommend a fixed unit with at least a half wave antenna, use a handheld for a backup.

If I head out of the river into the bay I am always monitoring the VHF 16, just as the tugboat skipper was when he came and pulled me out of the way of a container ship six years ago.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Banned
Gold Member

I have a Uniden Solara (non DSC) in the box. Took it out once and has been sitting on my shelf since. $ 95.00 includes shipping.
Attached Thumbnails VHF Handheld or Fixed Mount-solara.jpg  

Last edited by Elite Marine; 06-16-2009 at 03:30 PM.