496 No Start After A Hot Soak >

496 No Start After A Hot Soak

Notices

496 No Start After A Hot Soak

Old 06-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 496 No Start After A Hot Soak

thought i had a fuel pressure problem,,,pressure is good on the gage,,,heres what happened started cold engines and went for a half hour run all was good,,,stop for a ten min,swin,and the port engine wont start,,,starter cranks,,,and i can smell fuel,,,so has anybody had a hard time getting there 496efi engine started after a run,,,and not letting it cool down,,,maybe crank or cam sensor iam thinking???
Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
thought i had a fuel pressure problem,,,pressure is good on the gage,,,heres what happened started cold engines and went for a half hour run all was good,,,stop for a ten min,swin,and the port engine wont start,,,starter cranks,,,and i can smell fuel,,,so has anybody had a hard time getting there 496efi engine started after a run,,,and not letting it cool down,,,maybe crank or cam sensor iam thinking???
Yours is a 07 right? it should not be doing that with the new fuel system. have you tryd to open the throttle a little to let a little more air in to by pass the IAC? And if you smell fuel then open it up slowly to WOT while cranking just to see if it will fire off as a test next time. The engines varry at certin throttle % But once you hit that certin throttle % it will turn off the fuel injectors while cranking to help with fuel engine flooding if needed. Some are at 50% 75% and 100% throttle. This engine is stock right?

Last edited by Boat Tech; 06-23-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Registered

has raylar kits on it,,,other engines run fine,,,the engine iam having trouble with has a hard time starting after a hot soak,,if it starts at all,,,would the layard be causing one engine to run and the other one not two,,,boat has one layard
Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Registered

another question,,,what does the crank sensor control,,,and what does the cam sensor control
Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

They don't specifically control anything. They are ECM inputs used to calibrate fuel rates and spark timing.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Registered

THIS ACTS JUST LIKE VAPOR LOCK,,,i thought they had it fixed with the cool fuel(both pumps in the box,,with water running thru to keep the fuel cool)could the water flow be blocked???
Old 06-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Registered

THIS ACTS JUST LIKE VAPOR LOCK,,,i thought they had it fixed with the cool fuel(both pumps in the box,,with water running thru to keep the fuel cool)could the water flow be blocked???
I read on another fourm some guy has the same style gen 3 cool fuel system and he was saying about the same thing you are over all on a smaller merc engine and he said he found cloged up fuel filters and water in the fuel system to.I am trying to find the link for you but they are having some speed problems over there right now with there site, So it is taking some time to find it. But I will keep trying and get it here for you.http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=325660

Last edited by Boat Tech; 06-24-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Registered

i also want to know why one engine has steam coming off the tailpipes,,,and other engine does not,,,both engines are at the same temp,,,could the raw water pump system,,have blockage,,,and if there is blockage,,,would the cause the fuel to vaporize,because the cool fuel 3 is not getting any water,,thanks for everybody,s input
Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Registered

Not the same motors, but, I have 2001 502 efi's with cool fuel, and recently had a vapor lock issue. Began in one motor (port side) after sitting around for 30 min to 1 hour (heat soke). It would start fine, then bog down and hiss, then die. After 5 min or so it would start back up and run fine. The next weekend, both motors died after heat soke time. Again, these are cool fuel motors. The next weekend ran most of the gas out of it, fueled it back up, and problem solved. The gas had been in the tank for approx 3-4 months. Turns out that boiling point of some fuels drop significantly after 30 days, and continues to deteriorate after that.