Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
FML My Engine Just ate a piece of brass!! >

FML My Engine Just ate a piece of brass!!

Notices

FML My Engine Just ate a piece of brass!!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:32 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on having a machine shop take a look, I was just suggesting doing it himself if it looks basically OK and nothing looks to be beat up. He explains it like theres no physical damage visible to the eye which is surprizing in itself. Must have happened at very low RPM. Not everyone has a machine shop on speed dial. Or the funds to pay them. Only my 2 cts worth.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:22 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

The problem that you may run into is that some of the smaller pieces may have made their way between the piston and the cylinder wall. If one or more of those pieces get stuck in the ring land of the piston, they will prevent the rings from moving. Eventually, the rings will wind up taking off the top of the piston, causing a great deal of damage. You need to be sure that all of the pieces are removed. Personally, I would pull the thing apart and clean it up before I ran it again. Good luck, Eddie.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down I hate this engine

I had the heads rebuilt 2 exhaust valves were bent...so i just finished putting it all back together...i go to start it and it starts....so i turn on the hose so i can dial in the timing and it starts right back up...runs for about 30 seconds and stalls...i tried restarting it and it turns over then makes a god awful grinding/growling noise...i can't explain it...long story short i went to start it again after adjusting the timing and the starter is now broken...what gives...i can't win...im ready to sell it as is!-harry
any advice
Old 07-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

I wouldn't buy any loto tickets anytime soon
Old 07-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Registered

Hydrolocked. Probably a , intake manifold, head, or exhaust riser leak. Immediately pull out the plugs and turn over the motor to expel any water in the cylinders. If water is found, make sure you pour some kerosene in the cyls that have water.

Fix the leak.
Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ljsmith1
Hydrolocked. Probably a , intake manifold, head, or exhaust riser leak. Immediately pull out the plugs and turn over the motor to expel any water in the cylinders. If water is found, make sure you pour some kerosene in the cyls that have water.

Fix the leak.
Good Luck!
Yep been there done that. Still have the rod to remind me. Get the water out if that is the problem. Very frustrating but don't let it get the best of you. Hopefully not too much damage.

Very important if there is water in the cylinders to get it out and treat it with kerosene as mentioned or oil so cylinders walls and rings do not rust. I know you do not want to hear it but if it hydro locked I would tear it completely down and check everything. If everything is OK all it costs is time and some gaskets maybe a set a rings and bearings depending on what they look like.

This is just my opinion. Sorry for your trouble. My wife hates this definition of boat. Sure seems to fit at time mine is usually at least twice that thousand.
B - Break
O - Out
A - Another
T- Thousand.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you have it on a hose when it stalled ? did you turn the hose off ? if you waited any lenth of time with the hose running and the engine not you could have easily filled the cyl's with water, always get the engine started before turn on a hose supply, and turn the hose off before shutting down the engine. you can pull the spark plugs spin over then restart....Rob
Old 07-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Registered

sorry i didnt' respond back right away but all my strbrd cylinders had water in them...im assuming its the riser gasket...i put oil in the spark plug holes and cranked it a few times by hand..(starter is shot) ill be replacing it this weekend as well as the gasket...i just put that gasket on ...i don't know why it leaked...Ill keep everyone posted..thanks very much for your help...i only had it at idle to 1200 rpms...what are the odds my rods are ok?? is it normal for a hydrolocked motor to make a weird grinding noise? i guess ill find out when i change the starter and put in the new gasket

Last edited by formula18; 07-14-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Registered

I feel your pain. I bought the boat with two T's
B ring
O ut
A nother
T wenty
T housand
check everything and don't try to cheat.
good luck and hope everything works out
Old 07-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I would pull the engine and to through it like Eddie suggested before. You may still have a issue with the brass pieces in the engine. Any kind of grinding noise is not good. That could be bearings, rings, wrist pin, ect... Sorry about your continued troubles, I have been there. I would tear the engine completly down, see what went wrong and go from there. Good Luck, keep us updated. Oh, about your starter, I had mine rebuilt a few years ago rather than buying new. Somtimes you run into shimming issues with new. Check your flywheel gear for missing teeth.

Last edited by jeffswav; 07-15-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.