Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
FML My Engine Just ate a piece of brass!! >

FML My Engine Just ate a piece of brass!!

Notices

FML My Engine Just ate a piece of brass!!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by formula18
sorry i didnt' respond back right away but all my strbrd cylinders had water in them...im assuming its the riser gasket...i put oil in the spark plug holes and cranked it a few times by hand..(starter is shot) ill be replacing it this weekend as well as the gasket...i just put that gasket on ...i don't know why it leaked...Ill keep everyone posted..thanks very much for your help...i only had it at idle to 1200 rpms...what are the odds my rods are ok?? is it normal for a hydrolocked motor to make a weird grinding noise? i guess ill find out when i change the starter and put in the new gasket
Did you take out the starter yet? If not, the grinding noise may be the starter gear hitting the flywheel - or a little rust in the cylinders.

*Most* hydrolocking does not occur during running as the volume of water leaking into the cylinder is typically too low to actually fill it up very quickly. It will probably turn to steam before that happens. However, if you stop the engine, the water will drain into the manifold or block, and then into the cylinder, and then when you go turn it over - hydrolock. The starter is not powerful enough to damage con rods. In rare instances, a cylinder head jacket might crack, and allow copius amounts of water in a cylinder while the motor is running. If the leak volume exceeds the volume of the combustion chamber in between cycles, a con rod will bend because the water will not compress.

Maybe the riser bolts were not correctly torqued and re-torqued after heating. Also, if the mating surfaces were not very clean, that would cause quite a leak. I assume that you used a new gasket (S.S. Shim stock, Teflon/graphite coated type) with no sealer. Stock risers require 30-35 ft lbs of torque. I use lockwashers under mine to prevent loosening.

If the stud was brass, odds are you might not have any other significant damage. If you have it together at this point, might as well throw a new starter in and fix the riser and fire it up.

Good Luck!