Marine vs auto ignition & plug wires >

Marine vs auto ignition & plug wires

Notices

Marine vs auto ignition & plug wires

Old 03-30-2002, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

US-1
With aftermarket exhaust ,like Gil, the straight boots are easier to get on the plug if you have to reach to install them from the top of the engine compartment.
Old 03-30-2002, 02:37 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have a 1997 or newer Merc ignition system with a Knock sensor be carefull when choosing your ignition wires, The stainless spiral or wire wound cores are noisey (RF) and will fool your Knock sensor into thinking it hears spark knock and will retard your ignition timing resulting in a performance loss, Stick with the carbon suppresion type of wires if you have a Knock sensor. The HP500 blue wires are a good choice and are only around $60
Old 03-30-2002, 02:48 PM
Registered

US1.........The Heli-Core (and this is off of the box).........."uses a stainless steel conductor for its low resistance and strength. By helically winding this conductor around a glass innercore and coating it with a high dielectric insulator, an Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) choke is created. This design produces low resistance wire for increaseed spark without any EMI affecting other vehicle electronics"...........
Old 03-30-2002, 03:00 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Kaamacat, I installed a set of MSD wires that basically said the same thing on the box, then I went out testing and was down 600RPM ??? only change was the wires so I reinstalled the stock wires and got the 600RPM's back, next step reinstalled the MSD wires and bypassed the Knock sensor result this time no 600RPM loss with the MSD wires.
Old 03-30-2002, 04:33 PM
Registered

Lee........very interesting. I wonder if that's typical of the MSD wires and stock ignition systems (because like you said, the ss wire). Would be interested to hear what MSD would have had to say about that. (I dont think i'd be too happy either). Ya, learn something new every day. (In fact I think I will ask the local guy, GaryGrimes, if he had seen this in any of his testing).
Old 03-30-2002, 04:40 PM
Registered

Lee. I just sent a note to the MSD folks asking about this. My guess would be that they rely on most folks to use the total MSD setup with the 6M unit....etc. But, it will be interesting to see the reply.

Bob
Old 03-30-2002, 04:45 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I'd like to know the low down also before I buy new ones.

The motor is an '94, no knock knock sensor.

I notice that they make them in 2 different lengths, Standard for over the V/C's, and longer for around the back of the heads and under the exhaust for headers. I like the cut to length option.
Old 03-30-2002, 04:46 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What size are the HP500 wires? 8.0mm?
Old 03-30-2002, 06:11 PM
Registered

US1.........I will be sure to let you know what MSD has to say, but, heck if you dont have the sensor then the ones I listed should be good for sure. Like I said, these are "you-cut-to-length ones", so I'm sure they should be long enough and. As for the angles, guess you could go with the 90 or straight. My only comment on the 90s would be they would point down and then sway back and up to the back (with some loom couplers you could pick up locally). But tuck in closer to the engine.

And yes, they are the 8mm ones.
Old 03-30-2002, 11:54 PM
Registered

Taylor wires also offer the option of 135 degree boots. I have Gil manifolds and this looked like a really good option. Haven't put em on yet though.

Quick Reply: Marine vs auto ignition & plug wires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.