600HP 502 build Thanks Dave >

600HP 502 build Thanks Dave

Notices

600HP 502 build Thanks Dave

Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600HP 502 build Thanks Dave

My build has been complete for 2 months now and I am posting this for anyone who is having any questions for a similar build. The forums helped me a lot with mine. I'd also like to give BIG thanks to Dave at MDG Marine in Edgewater, MD. He's top notch when comes to engines and support.

I started with a used 502 MPI
removed all EFI stuff and used the short block ex. pistons
bored .030 w/ Manley Flat top pistons, i think they do have a 3cc dome. worked out to be 9.2CR after all calculations.

AFR 305 bare heads with CNC chambers. Dave did ALL head assy. He also built top end, installed cam, intake, all way to carb. Dave installed a custom cam so I do not know specs. Crane gold race RR, Morell Hyd. lifters, Hardened pushrods, etc.

870 Holley 4150 Bill Mitchel Carb on Merlin single plane intake, aeromotive fuel pump, TCM billet PS/Alt. brackey, TCM V pulleys, factory MIV sea pump bracket, TCM crossover with 140 thermo. MSD ignition and distributer. Eddie Marine long tail pipes/ Revolution Marine exhaust manifolds. EM flame arrestor. Hardine marine banjo fitting for Power steering pump.

And Of course all the little things. Not much that wasn't new.

Dynoed at 592HP with thermo and 20psi water pressure. No thermo yeilded just over 600HP.

Dave switched to CMI and actually saw a 3HP loss. I'm sure there are some variables to consider. With the combo of parts we put together with AFR305 heads, manifolds worked just fine.

Dave helped me over phone to dial in floats and idle mixture. Engine runs absolutely perfect!!! If anyone has any questions about parts or combination of, I'd be glad to answer. I will be enjoying the water all weekend coming up, Finally.

Thanks again to Dave at MDG Marine and all the posts here @ OSO that helped me put together this engine.