need help with external steering, wing plates, drive showers >

need help with external steering, wing plates, drive showers

Notices

need help with external steering, wing plates, drive showers

Old 07-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need help with external steering, wing plates, drive showers

hey guys. I have the newer style XR drives that are swept back and have the ribbed top caps. I changed my drive showers out to the dual pick up kind by Just Wicked Marine and the builder drilled holes in my wing plates to put them on.
I also have the tie bar mounted down low on the drives, see the picture below (The drives and showers are different now but the tie bar and wing plates are the same.

I want to relocate the tie bar up to the wing plates. When you steer all the way in direction, the knuckles on the tie bar kick forward and backward and seems to stress stuff out back there. i want to move the tie bar up for a more rigid set up.

What can you recommend as far as new wing plates and a tie bar set up that I can stay with the dual pick up showers? I realize I will have to change my muffler tips to something smaller because it looks like it was done this way to allow the drives to be tilted up to trailer mode.... It wont be able to tilt up that high with the tie bar moved up to the wingplates with the existing mufflers.

Any thoughts and suggestions on parts to use here and what is my most cost effective route would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody has anything to add here?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would leave your tie bar lower, down on the ram mounts. My reasoning would be that its down lower on the drive, therefore it should help to keep the drives from pushing toward themselves or away from themselves (depending on prop rotation) while under load. Thus taking some of the stress off the gimble ring/mounts.

Had the same problem with the tie bar mounts flopping around, you can only tighten it so much. What I'm in process of doing is mounting a piece of somewhat rigid rubber or delrin (haven't quite decided yet) between the tie bar mount and the drive to keep the tie bar mounts from flopping against the drive. My only concern is that if for some reason one drive gets trimmed waaaayyy more than the other it could cause some binding issues but that will remain to be seen.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with the tie bar mounts on my TRS drives and used a pair of rubber coil spring spacers. One under each horseshoe mount which stopped the mount from flopping back and forth. I attached it with 2 heavy black wire ties in an X patern on either side of the stud. It worked fine.