Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bilge Pump Question >

Bilge Pump Question

Notices

Bilge Pump Question

Old 03-30-2002, 07:47 PM
Rich36PC

Question Bilge Pump Question

About a month ago I posted a request asking for help locating a bilge pump in my boat. I was pretty sure that I had a missing pump because I had a fuse for it, a switch on the control panel for it, and a boat wiring schematic indicating about where it ought to be. Except that when I flipped the switch for it, nothing happened and I could not find any access in the area the wiring schematic showed it to be. I think I have found it and it is under the fiberglass floor of my engine compartment. I was working on the head sump pump, which has a access hatch panel over it. I stuck my trusty digital down into the well and took a picture thru the electric run, cutout, in the bulkhead looking aft and voilla there appears to be a rule bilge pump back there. Does this make sense to anyone out there? Would a reputable boat builder like Formula, build a bilge pump into the boat such that there is no access to it?

Rich S.

Old 03-31-2002, 07:44 AM
Miami

Most performance V hulls place the bilge pump or pumps about two ft forward of the back of the transom. This places the pumps close to the deepest or lowest portion of the hull withour interferring with the drain plug. In order to service them, you eithe rneed an extremely thin mechanic with out of proposion LONG arms, or uou have to pull the motor. I assume manufacturers are more concerned with pumping out the most water versus ease of accesability. My mechanic will be replacing both my motors this spring and has a work order to replace two, functioning bilge pumps, with two new units.

Old 03-31-2002, 11:22 AM
Rich36PC

Thanks Miami,
My boat does not quite qualify as a performance boat but it is a great boat. I think, and I am going to confirm this next week when I get back to the boat (boats in Deale Md, - I am in Germantown MD), that the pump is actually totally unaccessible. In this particular boat there is an "Equipment Room Bilge" that is actually closer to the transom than the "Engine Room Bilge". These names are what Formula labeled these pumps. Bear in mind that the "Equipment Room" is approximately 18" by 8", accessed by a hatch in the engine room floor. I believe that the engine room bilge is located dead center, between the engines and about 2 ft forward of the "Equipment Room Bilge".

All I have to go on at the moment is this very blurry picture which I did not look at until I got home. Clearly it is a pump and I don't think it is the equipment room bilge although it could be.

If it is my mystery pump, I am going to cut a new hatch in the the engine room floor to get at it and fix it.

Rich S.
Attached Thumbnails Bilge Pump Question-mysterypump.jpg  

Old 03-31-2002, 02:29 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes!! Yea that's a bilge pump.

Be careful whet you cut. Take your time!

Eric
Old 03-31-2002, 02:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like there is some other stuff in there too. Is it possible that the top comes off for access?? Weather sucks today, huh??

I did get a little ride in yesterday-even got sunburned on my bald spot(all over)
Old 04-01-2002, 07:15 AM
Miami

Hey Rich - cut small and continue to cut untill you have barely enough access to service the unit. Make sure you are not cutting any stringer and/or support structures. Seal all cut wood thoroughly! I have had some harrowing experiences that required bilge pumps to stay afloat. OEM pumps barely do the job. Hopefully you never need it, but when you do you will be thankfull you put in the effort. i live in Rockville and boat in Annapolis area. Either bring your boat up or come play with me.

Old 04-01-2002, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there Miami !
You could always call your tech rep at Formula or go to the Formula forum here and post for Boilerdaddy" the Formula web guru. He may be able to give you Formula's recommendation to get to that pump. It is possible the factory has a special fabrication to install allowing access in the future. It never hurts to "ask the factory". I have always found them most helpful.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:08 PM
Rich36PC

Default bilge pump

Blown Formula and Miami, I did already contact Formula for information on the where-a-bouts of the "Engine Bilge" and they provided me with all of the schematics for the entire boat. The boat is a 1990 so they don't seem to have a lot of specific knowledge about it, but they have helped where they could. The wiring specs do indicate that the pump really should be about where this mystery pump is. I just could not believe (initially) that a pump would be installed without any kind of access.

I am currently planning on drilling a very small hole, dead center over where I think the pump is and then sticking a dental mirror or something similar down the hole to make sure I don't cut something bad.

Rich S.