bravo rebuild. >

bravo rebuild.

Notices

bravo rebuild.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bravo rebuild.

I blew a bravo today , feels like it droped the bottom out of the forward gear, does not move in reverse either, so i want to rebuild it myself i do my own motor rebuilds but have never done a drive , how hard is it to do and is there any special tools needed.

thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

It's not that hard to do but you need a TON of special tools.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
It's not that hard to do but you need a TON of special tools.

Reading the manual you would hard pressed to find a step that doesn't call for some 'special' tool.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

The right tools make all the difference in the world. Some you can't do without. The right way to do it is to have all of the tools. You can get away without some, but you are taking a chance. Proper assembly is key to getting a Bravo to live. I have thousands off dollars of tools to build a Bravo the right way. Unless you plan on building quite a few, it is not worth it to buy them. Not only do you need special Merc. tools, but you need a big selection of other tools that the average person does not have.
Eddie
Old 07-13-2009, 01:55 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

Chances are good that the case might be trashed. I would buy a used drive and then worry about working on the blown one. When the upper on my Pantera let go, it wasn't worth trying to save.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rssteiny
I blew a bravo today , feels like it droped the bottom out of the forward gear, does not move in reverse either, so i want to rebuild it myself i do my own motor rebuilds but have never done a drive , how hard is it to do and is there any special tools needed.

thanks
You'll need the following and experience doesn't hurt..

Carrier removal tool
Light duty carrier puller
Shim tool
Backlash Indicator with support hardware
Shift removal tool (can't remember the name little pencil sized fine thread 1/4-28 tool)
The tool for setting rolling torque on lower before assembly
Spanner that fits your style upper either the half circle with six teets or the multipoint spanner (old style).
An accurate inch pound torque wrench where 15 inch pounds is not the min or max.
The spline pedistal so it's a little easier to reassemble the gear set with the keepers

A new seal kit (upper/lower) and all broken parts. Misc thrust bearings etc... I'll have to look in my box but it's a lot of stuff. You need to know if the housings are reusable or not. You can tie up some cash in this venture especially if you don't know the status of the case.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rssteiny

thanks

The big expense in rebuilding these is the parts, not the labor. Find a reputable shop with performance experience in setting up drives and pay them to do the work. Have them upgrade the drive also to prevent future problems, not much more $ at rebuild time.
Their experience and set-up knowledge will get you the best return on your expensive parts investment.