Removing a procharger? >

Removing a procharger?

Notices

Removing a procharger?

Old 07-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing a procharger?

what would it take to remove a procharger from a 502? Teaching my wife to load and unload the boat and it is way to touchy with the procharger. also going to sell the boat at the end of the season to upgrade, dont think the supercharger is a big sales point. thanks.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DMFP live
what would it take to remove a procharger from a 502? Teaching my wife to load and unload the boat and it is way to touchy with the procharger. also going to sell the boat at the end of the season to upgrade, dont think the supercharger is a big sales point. thanks.
Other than the fact you can swing a bigger prop, the boat will not be any more touchy with a procharger than without. Centrifugal blowers don't build any boost until you get up there in RPM range.

I understand the sales thing though.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just unbolt everything and take it off. You'll either need to have the carb re-worked for N/A or have the ecm retuned once you take it off. Need to change plugs as well as the prop. You may have to try to find new brackets for some of the accessories depending on what brackets the Procharger mounts have changed.

Like ZXX said, at idle, there is really no difference in handling characteristics. I also do understand your selling point, but if you considering selling the boat in the near future, why spend the money to change things up now? Although, if you sell the Procharger, that could easily offset the cost of changing things.

Soooooo, ultimately it's up to you.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Registered

i agree with the others. if you are thinking of selling the procharger let me know. i might be able to find it a good home.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Registered

At idle the Procharger makes no boost so that isnt whats making it "touchy". How much power do you need to load it?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really is touchy, it spools up quick, when I first got the boat I had a hard time with it. just worried about her ending up in the back of my truck!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:45 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Put a larger pulley on the blower and it won't spool as fast.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nichols92
How much power do you need to load it?
I always idle up on mine and the last few inches give it a slight nudge on the sticks. But never get above 1500rpm... so I have to ask the same question as above?
Old 07-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by twistedfun
i agree with the others. if you are thinking of selling the procharger let me know. i might be able to find it a good home.
I have an M1SC if your interested. And DMFP live, if your taking off the procharger, think twice. I had mine removed and it was a little much (if your not doing it yourself). You'll have to rejet the carb or replace, new throttle body and flame arrestor (if replacing carb), remove the procharger, change plugs, remove the extra fuel line running to the fuel cap, change the fuel pump to manual (because your probable have a big one on now), get a new prop, and then re-tune it. My hp500 is a lot smoother now in idle and switching gears but i lost nearly 15mph. If I had to do it again, i'd switch out the pulley's for 2-3lbs of boost and keep it on. This way, if you ever get the itch to go faster you just switch the pulleys

Last edited by Mastercraft240; 07-13-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mastercraft240
I have an M1SC if your interested. And Niceguy, if your taking off the procharger, think twice. I had mine removed and it was a little much (if your not doing it yourself). You'll have to rejet the carb or replace, new throttle body and flame arrestor (if replacing carb), remove the procharger, change plugs, remove the extra fuel line running to the fuel cap, change the fuel pump to manual (because your probable have a big one on now), get a new prop, and then re-tune it.
I'm not taking anything off. LOL. I basically told him the same exact thing you listed here. The big fuel pump will work, but you may have to add a regulator if there is not one currently. Other than that, I couldn't agree more.

And just for the record, I do ALL my own work. I don't like anybody touching my toys but me. Sorry for getting off topic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.