All Mototr Guys I have an OIL LEAK MYSTERY >

All Mototr Guys I have an OIL LEAK MYSTERY

Notices

All Mototr Guys I have an OIL LEAK MYSTERY

Old 07-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Mototr Guys I have an OIL LEAK MYSTERY

Ok here it is. A Double Mystery I have 502 Blower Motors and my friend has brand new 496HO's 20 Hrs on them. We were both doing oil changes. When he went to change his oil for the first time after break in (20 Hrs) he warmed the engines and drained the oil. I did the same as well just like I have done for 15 years. When I went to fill my starboard motor I didn't think I spilled a drop of oil but I noticed after filling, some brand new fresh oil was showing under the balancer and timing cover. This was fresh oil !!. I was just getting done putting my engines back into the boat and re-rigging so I thought I must have spilled some oil some how. The engines were not started after I changed the oil. I cleaned every inch of both engines and bilge with degreaser,soap hot water etc. and then shop vacuumed every drop of water off those engines. I went away for a week and came back on Monday. I talked with my buddy, he just got done changing his oil and noticed the same thing on one motor, fresh new oil below the balancer in the bilge area. He could actually see the oil coming out from under the balancer and chain cover. I went and looked at my boat again last night. It was sitting for a week, never started after the oil change and again a path of oil was under the balancer and timing cover with a trail leading into the lower bilge. ??? How could fresh oil be leaking from these motors just by filling them after the change. They are not even running to create any pressure.
Not to mention they didn't leak before the change.
Please any opinions are appreciated.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seal all openings in the engine and figure a way to put 15psi compressed air in the crankcase. Then spray soapy water areound to confirm the location of the leak.