Drive Shower Temps?? >

Drive Shower Temps??

Notices

Drive Shower Temps??

Old 04-01-2002, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Shower Temps??

Can a drive shower make your drive run too cold?? I am considering putting one on my boat to help prevent drive failure, but i have never noticed the chaulky residue some of you mention. I am just curious if you put a drive shower on a drive operating at correct temp. will this make the drive oil thick and cause harm. just figured i would ask first. Only dumb question is one that doesnt get asked(or so i have heard).
Old 04-01-2002, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Go to www.driveshowers.com, Pauls site (board member) will answer almost any possible question you might have.......except that one.......Most gear oils dont have a problem flowing until they get down to about -10f so you'll probably be OK
Old 04-01-2002, 11:51 PM
Registered

I am by no means an authority on this subject but have some experience with motor oils. Most motor oils do not provide their maximum lubricating capabilities below 100'F. Above the century mark, no problem. Below that and the wear increased. It would not cause a catostrophic failure, but would shorten the life of the component being lubricated.

I do not know if this applies to gear lube but I do suspect there is a temp that optimizes lubrication and efficiency. If gear lube is too cold, it will require more HP to move the gears through it.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:51 AM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Hey Rob! I would think that you may not be getting any chalky stuff on your drive because of the mostly short trips you take. After meeting you I get the impression that you mosty just run across the bay to eat out. If Im wrong here then set me straight.

These mostly short trips probably don't give your drive time to heat up much.

But, when you go to a poker run or when I come out to your place, you'll run for more extened period of time. I would recommend the Simrek drive shower. I have a "summit" model shower on mine.

Hope this helps!

talk soon, Eric
Old 04-02-2002, 05:29 PM
Registered

Eric all depends on the day sometimes that boat sarts in the morning and doesnt get a break untill dark. other times its just across the bay to keep working on my girlish figure Everybody knows the food over at Kent Narrows is fat free
Old 04-02-2002, 10:35 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Default LOL!!

Rob, can't wait to get over there and run around the bay!

I'd get a drive shower. It's cheap insurance. And you can't go wrong with the Simrek.

Eric
Old 04-03-2002, 08:08 PM
Registered

Default mxz800

mxz800,The bottom end of your drive is in cool water all the time. If cool oil temperature was a problem then the lower units would be blowing all the time. There is also a myth that drives need to run hot enough to burn off the condensation that forms inside them. Consider that the oil is lighter than the water, and with no agitation, the water is trapped on the bottom of the drive where it is never heated to the needed 212* to boil it off. Drive temps are more affected by RPMs and duration on plane than HP or anything else. Hope this helps, Da Drive Shower Guy
Old 04-03-2002, 10:08 PM
Registered

thanx for the replys i appreciate it i will be installing a drive shower.