Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
oil temp too hot any suggestions? >

oil temp too hot any suggestions?

Notices

oil temp too hot any suggestions?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil temp too hot any suggestions?

I have a new bbc, dart block etc. the motor has about 4 hours on it and I cant control the oil temp. the temp will get up to 140 while idling for a little while and thats fine but as soon as I run the motor at any rpms it will heat the oil up to 260 to 300 degrees. the wierd thing is that the oil doesnt cool down when you slow down you actually have to let the boat idle for a while to cool down the oil. the engine temp never gets over 150 degrees. I have a remote filter and I am using the mercury racing filter. the lines are plumbed properly, I have a 3x18" cooler. the cooler is the first thing fed from the pump, the oil runs opposite from the water direction. the oil lines are routed from the block adapter to the remote filter from the remote filter to the cooler from the cooler back to the block adapter. I can take the drain out of the oil cooler and with the boat running the water is hot so I assuming that the cooler is dissapating heat? the sender is in the pan and I have changed the sender already but I am not eliminating a bad sender(wishfull thinking). I am open to suggestions. could the cooler not be any good? the dart block doesnt use the 11 or 30# bypass to my knowledge.

Last edited by lake speed; 07-27-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good oil pressure? Are you SURE everything is plumbed correctly? Doesnt sound to me like oil is flowing through the cooler for some reason. The way it sounds, the oil is relying solely on the water flowing through the block to cool it down, which will not happen with any rpms.

Are you sure that your water pump is pushing water? do you have a water psi gauge?

Do you have an oil thermostat installed? could be sticking shut.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Philm
good oil pressure? Are you SURE everything is plumbed correctly? Doesnt sound to me like oil is flowing through the cooler for some reason. The way it sounds, the oil is relying solely on the water flowing through the block to cool it down, which will not happen with any rpms.

Are you sure that your water pump is pushing water? do you have a water psi gauge?

Do you have an oil thermostat installed? could be sticking shut.
I do not have an oil thermostat, the pump is pushing water at least it is out the exhaust, I ran the motor with the drain on the cooler open and it was pumping water through the cooler but the water was hot, I do have a water psi gauge and it has water psi. I have plenty of oil psi about 70 psi cold and 45-50 hot at idle. I am thinking that the cooler may be partially clogged on the oil side or????? I guess I will replace the cooler next. both lines running to and from the cooler are hot to the touch after running it. as far as the plumbing it runs from the pad adapter to the filter inlet from the filter outlet to the cooler from the cooler to the inlet on the pad adapter. I believe that this is correct?

Last edited by lake speed; 07-27-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

how do you have the water lines ran.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
how do you have the water lines ran.
the water comes into the pump and out of the pump to the cooler, out of the cooler to the power steering cooler, out of the ps cooler to a crossover on the front of the block, through the motor and out the exhaust. I do not have a circulating pump on the motor. this setup worked fine on my other motor?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much to an oil cooler. I suggest you have it checked out a local radiator shop before you buy new.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What kind of oil pan and how much oil in the engine.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 14 apache
What kind of oil pan and how much oil in the engine.
I have a dooley pan its a 10 quart pan and thats what I run in the engine.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Banned

U need a bigger oil cooler thats all. or it maybe klooged somewhat/where.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DareDevil
U need a bigger oil cooler thats all. or it maybe klooged somewhat/where.
I am going to order one today, anyone have any reccomendations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.