smoked Huber1330's please Help

Notices

smoked Huber1330's please Help

Old 08-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy smoked Huber1330's please Help

I'll try and keep short
We had our 1330's re build this year, as they had some hours on them, worked great no slipping or any other issues in "pre rebuild form".

we had a local shop re build them, they installed new seal,o-rings, gaskets, clutch plates and steel plates, along with new out put shafts, we now have less than 3 hours on these tranny's, last week we lost one idling out to the lake, broke lose as soon as I inched the throttle's forward, trans was very hot to the touch...

WE Took it in And The Shop could not find any thing that could have caused the plates to warped ( @ that time I told them the other tranny is slipping, they blew me off).....$600 bucks later
( after paying $ 2500 each the first time) reInstalled and it runs fine for now.... Called the builder and I said that the other trans is slipping At plane off And As I roll on the throttles to accelerate. (I had origanally thought I was Cavitating So We instaled a 3/8" spacer but problem still persisted) I was was sure After the fore mentioned that the trans was indeed slipping & not prop Cavitation.. "He tells me it is imposible as once the clutches are locked they can not slip unless you lose pressure to the piston"....And yet One week later less a day the other Trans is smoked!!!
is there Anything he could have changed From the huber specs too cause this....??

The Shop is not standing behind their work... And it is quite clear in my mind they Are doing something very wrong, I have not changed the power infront of these tranny's and the builder told me straight up they will hold 1000 hp no problem, yet @ >900HP I can't keep them together after the rebuilds...
we Had no issues before the rebuild!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Registered

Any one have any ideas? please
Old 08-04-2009, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send it back to Huber, he was bought out. The new owner, has made changes on the trans for the better. I wouldn't allow anyone else in that trans. That why, it isn't working for you. Do you have the new address? I do but, at work.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BAM (long time OSO supporter) is a marine transmission expert. I would go to BAM before going to the new owner at "Huber". I believe BAM also has a transmission dyno. The dyno might be the tool you need to diagnose you problem. Trial and error is expensive.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
BAM (long time OSO supporter) is a marine transmission expert. I would go to BAM before going to the new owner at "Huber". I believe BAM also has a transmission dyno. The dyno might be the tool you need to diagnose you problem. Trial and error is expensive.
Hmmmm.....Might want to read this: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ease-read.html

Last edited by pachanga; 08-04-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Make sure you're using type F trans fluid.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MER Performance
Send it back to Huber, he was bought out. The new owner, has made changes on the trans for the better. I wouldn't allow anyone else in that trans. That why, it isn't working for you. Do you have the new address? I do but, at work.
Ditto BIG Daddy , Earl will make em right again might not get em back in a week but you wont go thru the crap your dealing with now ....

Earl Zimmer@ Huber Marine
8450 Choctaw Dr
Baton Rouge La 70815
225-927-6895
Old 08-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Ditto BIG Daddy , Earl will make em right again might not get em back in a week but you wont go thru the crap your dealing with now ....

Earl Zimmer@ Huber Marine
8450 Choctaw Dr
Baton Rouge La 70815
225-927-6895
One reason: Huber,used to make them for Merc. Earl,also has a trans dyno.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Registered

Default Up date

Took the 2nd tranny in too the local shop, All the clutches & plates were warped to $hit, He called around And found that the plates were the wrong type for my 1330's put kevlar pates in dropped the clearance too .012 and Told me to beat the #ell out of it... And I did just that... Trans is almost 100 Deg cooler @ 6200 rpm And I can roll on the throttles hard with no slipping.... I'm about never burning a bridge...
I simply said "Dan I did not have these failures before... We need too find the problem" and I drove away... 6 hours later he called and said Come Get it It is done.... the inside was perfect, cluches were $hit... Now lets see if he fixes the other one....I guess It's hard to argu with two trashed trannys in one week....

P.S. $1300 of the bill was the planatary gear/ output shafts for each tranny...

Thanks guys for all your help... it it dose fail again it's going to either
Bam or Huber....Trial and error is Very $$$
Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did he get the kevlar clutches? Who is building them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.