Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What approx HP gains from Performer Intake? >

What approx HP gains from Performer Intake?

Notices

What approx HP gains from Performer Intake?

Old 04-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read up on the Torker and problem with that is simple
It is for upper RPM ranges that a 7.4 -330 cant get to
from like 3500-7000 RPM range
Hell my 330 gets to about 4800 redline so performer was the wiser choice since it is off idle to 5500 RPM range
That Torker looks like the manifold that comes on the carb HP 500 and other higher HP NA engines although not 100% sure what Mercruiser uses.
I just thought having the center of the performer raised up a bit and easier flowing passages through manifold would increase HP and TQ a bit, This is not the only mod I plan on doing, just only mod I plan on doing NOW.
I have the oval port heads (small oval) so the regular oval manifold will work but will also have the restriction from the heads not the manifold. I figured later on if I wanted to do heads, that okay the manifold is already there and ready to go.

When I modded my Trans am, I did one thing at a time and it was easier on the pocket, and you got to see what made a big difference and what did not. Listening to others I made a list and did one at a time, headers, catback, Air intake stuff, MAF porting, Cam, Torque converter ect and each one I would see a difference and it was either a small or large accomplishment and the track time slips told the story

I figured this boat would be the same, Little bit here, little bit there, add this, yank that, tweak this, paint that, open this up and whalla, Klablam

So if you had a budget of around 1000 bucks for a few bolt on mods to do on a twin Big Block boat with WEAK (i stress weak cause the 330's cant handle TOO much) what would YOU ALL do?
Talk to me
Jason
Old 04-04-2002, 02:44 PM
turbo2256

I am talking about the small original torqer EDL- 5061 not the full compitition type.

Last edited by turbo2256; 04-04-2002 at 02:47 PM.

Old 04-04-2002, 02:47 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

For the $1000 I would take the boat in and have a GOOD mechanic go over everything with a fine tooth comb. Have them do full tune ups with all new cap, rotors, plugs, plug wires, filters, and have them rebuild the carbs you have. Make sure you are getting all the performance out of the engines you have. If you have any money left, get some carb spacers and K&N filters. That will easily take care of $1000 and give you reliablity.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:55 PM
Registered

The tune ups, oil and fluid changes and other things are all going to be done regardless,
i have a date with the jegs catalog in the next few days to see what I can do.
The boat is at a marina right now getting some stuff I know I dont have time to do right now. New Gimbal ring, New Swivel shaft (both on starboard side) New shifter cables for both shifters, all new bellows boots both sides, and a basic, look over to see if anything needs major immediate attention.
The tune ups, filters, separators, ect will be done, but I have about a grand extra that I wanted to devote to performance enhancements. I figured intakes would be a good start.
Last week I posted about the Edelbrock Marine carbs and if they were any good or not. Got mostly so so feedback and a few major negatives, so the performer intakes are the spread bore not the square bore, so I can keep the rochesters (which run just fine and no real reason to change them other than i am not in love with rochester)
The Jegs catalog has the Edelbrock marine carbs for 261 each (750 CFM just like the rochester) and utilizes the square bore so the manifold would change to square or an adapter from square to spread bores if i went with the performer.

I have already bought wires, plugs, flame arrestors, blower scoops, chrome valve covers, and chrome dress up stuff, i was just trying to move forward wiht some light to moderate performance enhancements.

Now the props I have are 21 pitch, up them to 23-24 max BUT need a few extra ponies out of the engines so i dont loose the rpm's from increased pitch

(you all see where im going now?)
Jason

PS this is good, keep throwing stuff back at me
Old 04-04-2002, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the torkers and except for less bottom end torque. I like them for moderate engines with a holley that need a very low profile. I would run the air gaps if I had the room and didnt already have enough torkers. Overall, I agree with Budman and Griff. The manifold itself wont do much.
Old 04-05-2002, 04:59 AM
F223LS

Hey check out Family and performance boating magazine. Mays issue has a real good write up on 7.4 upgrades. They have got all bolt on upgrades and claim you can see 425hp at 4800rpms.

Old 04-05-2002, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Jay, I agree with the post about making everything run up to spec. My 280 was delivered new from the dealer with 25p Mirages and I am running 25p Mirage Plus props at the moment.I love the 330, I have 750 hrs on mine and they still run like NEW and burn NO oil.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:13 AM
imq707s

What about any gain in HP in going from a Performer to a Performer RPM? I've got a stock Jasper MArine 350 in my 21' scarab with a 750 holley carb a Performer intake. Would go to the RPM add any HP? Also, what;s the difference between a flamer arrestor and a plain automotive air filter? Jeg's sells K&N Marine flame arrestors, but they look just like their standard automotive filters. Thanks

Old 04-05-2002, 07:39 AM
Registered

That K&N flame arrestor is basically an automotive air filter BUT has wire mesh screen on the inside to snuff flames as it comes up carb.
Kurt, you are running 25 pitch on your 330???
What mods do you have done to your 330's if any?
I was told by a few people with the 330 that 23 would be absolute MAX pitch for it would fall on its face
Ya know what, Im going to email you with a list of questions, nothing like talking to someone that took their entire boat apart and has same year, make, model, arch ect
Whats your email kurt?
Thanks
Jason
Old 04-05-2002, 09:03 AM
Bo Knows

Thumbs up

Jason

Check out the 330 heads thread going in this forum now. Jim V gives flow # on the 330's stock & ported. It appears that contrary to popular belief, Jim has found some horsepower is available porting the small heads ! You might want to try this. I think I will. Keep us posted.

Bo

Quick Reply: What approx HP gains from Performer Intake?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.