Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What approx HP gains from Performer Intake? >

What approx HP gains from Performer Intake?

Notices

What approx HP gains from Performer Intake?

Old 04-03-2002, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What approx HP gains from Performer Intake?

Well after kicking around the ideas I think with my twin 330's Im going to start at the edelbrock performer intakes.
Keeping the rochesters for now, keeping stock cams and lifters for now.
until I invest in 2 pairs of better flowing heads, I cant see the justification for a monster cam, roller rockers ect.
but I think the stock pancake intake manifold is definately preventing the air/fuel mixture to easily make it to the heads since it has to make such an abrupt 90* turn under the carb.
What HP gains should I expect (approximately?) out of this mod?

Any one ever play with this before on a stock turd nugget 454-330 Merc?
Thanks
Jason
Old 04-03-2002, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15 - 20 HP is what I would guess.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:36 PM
ROLNTHUNDER

JAY before you spend the money on the intake, i have found that a 11/2 pholnic spacer works as well it also cuts down on the heat transferd to the carb.also a larger than stock flame arrester helps wake them up a little.

Old 04-03-2002, 12:45 PM
Registered

Well I have 2 Mr Gasket blower scoops with the 3 butterflies that open with carb that Im going to install on the engines for asthetic reasons. (love those scoops for some reason) Im going to put the flame arrestor in there instead of that crappy paper filter
But the manifolds are 151 each from Jegs and I figured that is a good buy.
Want to dress them up as much as possible (at least what you can see from the under side mirrors and neon lights in compartment .
The performer manifold always gets good reviews and have never heard any problems from fit and finish (sand cast aluminum, no big deal)

The stock manifold even with a spacer will still have the same problem with the air/fuel slamming at a 90 degree abrupt angle regardless if there is a spacer in there or not.
The performer has a rise to it and looks like it would flow better and with a 15-20 HP gain, not bad for 360 bucks with gaskets.

I cant get too crazy for these are 330 HP engines and are very frail from the general opinion on the board. (cast crank, 2 bolt main??? and redlines at what 4600-4800)
but a few more ponies is always appealing to me and im on a restricted budget from the soon to be wife if you know what I mean.

Jason
Old 04-03-2002, 01:11 PM
jr

You can also get more from your current intake, or new intake if you port match it to your gasket. When I put the performer rpm intake on my SBC's there was a big mismatch between the gasket and the ports. Opening up the runner on the intake to match the gasket to the head will smooth out the airflow into the head and give you more HP. I calcultated how much the intake opened. It came up to 17% larger. You can also port match the heads but that would require pulling them, tearing them down, and then porting.

Old 04-03-2002, 03:00 PM
Registered

Remember that this intake will be for the small oval heads. If you change heads in the future, you will also have to change manifolds. Do you want to do that? I don't think you will get much performance increase for the amount of dollars and work you are going to do. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, just realistic. Why not wait untill you make your head change and exhaust manifold change and do it together for a package.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I agre with Whiteknuckle. I don't think you will see much gain with just a manifold change.For the $300.00 you will spend,you could probabily get the same results in blueprinting your props,if not already done.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:17 PM
nobudget

I have used the performer RPM myself I would not do it with out the carb upgrade, you might not see a differance. Try the 650 Deamon this set up got me 3 to 4 mph over stock. You should be able to pick up those, intakes at a car swap meet or flea market for $50-$90 bucks. Bought mine used ran it for about 110 hours trouble free and sold it. The same set -up is know on another boat.

Intake swap took about 2 hours
1 hour bullcrapin another hour scaping gaskets and ajusting the distributor. Maybe it took a little longer but I am no motor head.
Have that prop Labbed that is always good for 2 mph and some rpm. My 2 cents worth Good Luck!!

Old 04-04-2002, 01:51 PM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!

Honestly, with no other changes than the manifold, you will be lucky to notice a difference. Maybe a little more midrange power, but I doubt if you will pick up any top end without more extensive mods.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:15 PM
turbo2256

Has any one tried the oval port torqer manifold. I used one on my 7.4 but had changed to edelbrock oval port heads. This configuration was run with both a torquer and later an air gap performer and seat of the pants feel was that the torquer ran better less bow rise and such. The torqer seemed to have smaller cross sectional areas although plenum was larger.

Quick Reply: What approx HP gains from Performer Intake?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.