What Brand Starter Motor??? >

What Brand Starter Motor???

Notices

What Brand Starter Motor???

Old 08-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arco 30470 reduction starter, marine certified. No problems, make sure your electrical system isn't at fault, or slight hydraulicing of the engine. I only say this so you don't spend money twice!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have any local electrical rebuilders? I had my stock starter rebuilt a few years ago. I told them what I wanted a they rebuilt it better than new. And it is still marine approved.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MER Performance
Arco 30470 reduction starter, marine certified. No problems, make sure your electrical system isn't at fault, or slight hydraulicing of the engine. I only say this so you don't spend money twice!
I'm pretty sure my electrical system isn't at fault. I know it's a high comp engine because of the way it was built. I know the starter is shredded because I pulled it appart and there's bits of crap everywhere inside from the outer gear set that pooped itself.

I don't think the engine has locked up, but then again, I haven't cranked it over to check! I'll pop the plugs out and see if she'll spin tomorrow.

I hadn't even considered getting the starter rebuilt... Are those internal gears readily available?

Knowing shop labour prices down here, it'll probably be cheaper to buy a new starter and gold plate the bastard thing!

So, the starters I know have Steel gears: The CVR5323, One of the Denso replacement marin starters, the Tilton (I think) and the MSD Tilton style starter.
I've been told not to run the high Hp (3hp+) starter because if the compression kicks back, the hp starters will keep trying to spin the other way and the pinion looses the fight every time.

I'm now looking for a 1.9hp 4:1 reduction steel internal geared straight or staggered hole starter. Great!

Anyone have a spare???
Old 08-20-2009, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bajabob
1 have a 540dart 10to 1 comp i use truck starter. works great and my timing on 42 degrees
42 degrees, are you kidding???
Old 08-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 1,281 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Does anyone know which manufacturers make starters with steel gears? I can't seem to find many who actaully list them. I saw a Powerforce or something at Summit that said it was rated for engines up to 18:1 so I figure that's pretty strong right? Mind you it's about $380!

Thanks for the advice all. I'll check that JB site but if they don't have metal gears, who does???

Cheers,
John
His new starter is a CVR
Old 08-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Registered

Alright, So I now have a CVR (PN 5323) Starter.

Should be here soon... (I Hope!)

Thanks for all your help and advice!
Turns out Hydraulic Lock had caused the starter to go but we live and learn!

Cheers,
John
Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by fastlane40
42 degrees, are you kidding???
You better back that down to at least 35 degrees. Hope that timing isn't locked out! Why the heck do you need 42 degrees in that engine?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

42 deg = pin has been removed.....
Old 08-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock style gear drive starters won't live in a big cube high compression engine. Mine are 548 10.0-1 compression and all it would take was one kick back and the gears were gone. The Hitachi style works much better. That's the one with the big rectangular block on the front of the starter. Those and MSD starter savers and I have the same starters for 3 years now.