Hydrolocked, high oil level, why? >

Hydrolocked, high oil level, why?

Notices

Hydrolocked, high oil level, why?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

Like steve said, the water is sitting in the bottom of the oil pan. It probably didn't have time to mix up a lot with the oil. Most likely the bearings are trashed now and you'll need a complete rebuild.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:46 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil floats on top of water !!!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Drained the oil & there was water in the bottom of the pan. Not much though, maybe a quart or two max.

I'll pull the heads & check them out tonight.

454/502 HO cam 24502611 6 192, 2611, 261668-
210-230*
511/540”

Reversion shouldn't be an issue w/ the above cam, huh? Its ran for 100hrs so seems like it would have been a problem sooner if there was a chance of reversion.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You overheated the motor right and found water in the cylinders? Have you had water in the cylinders before?? Pretty clear cause and effect to me. One thing would be to try and see if the exhausts are cracked from the overheat before taking the heads off. Exhausts have to come off first anyway.

BTW, not much water in the pan??? A quart or two is a lot.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If you overheated the engine you could have warped a head or blew a gasket. Take the heads to a machine shop and have them checked. Reversion would act different than what you are seeing. Reversion would milkshake your oil and you would see moisture in the engine not water in the pan. What engine do you have? I have a complete set of heads for a Gen V 330HP with a fresh rebuild. Good luck, I have been there.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Registered

pulled the heads. both head gaskets blown. no noted cracks on the exhaust, heads, cylinders, or cheese under the valve covers. With a straight edge I couldn't see any signs of warpage on the heads. I'm going to take them to the guy who ported them for a second opinion.

the motor is a stock gen V short block, w/ ported vortec heads, 496 exhaust, 454HO cam, performer manifold.

I wastn't in the boat when it stopped. I first thought it was just a dead battery so I never noted the temp. This is my best guess so I want to rule everything else out so it doesn't happen again.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Registered

i think it extremely unlikely that failed head gaskets will put clean water in your cylinders sufficient to lock them up and run down into the pan.

but who knows. i suppose its possible.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Registered

only takes a small amount of water to lock it up.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by stevesxm
i think it extremely unlikely that failed head gaskets will put clean water in your cylinders sufficient to lock them up and run down into the pan.

but who knows. i suppose its possible.
Probably also pushed the head gasket into the valley where the bolt pattern is lacking on a BBC which actually is sealing the water passages. Definitely get a bunch of water in the pan with that scenario. Don't know about how much water will leak into the cylinders with a head gasket problem but I got a quart of water in the oil pan with an exhaust manifold leak by pushing past the rings.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Registered

I'm open to suggestions? I noticed the Knock sensor was disconnected when I tore down the motor last night. My guess is the default is the reduced timming mode. It didn't seem to run as strong that day so I'm pretty sure it was in the reduced timming mode.

could detonation somehow cause the this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.