Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Buying new batteries... advice? >

Buying new batteries... advice?

Notices

Buying new batteries... advice?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying new batteries... advice?

I've got dual batteries in my single engine (GM 454 I/O, Alpha One) '87 223LS with a switch. Battery #1, which I normally use for starting the boat, holds a charge fine, no problems. Battery #2, which I normally use for accessories and so forth, doesn't hold much of a charge anymore and dies quickly. Time to replace it.

I've heard that it's recommended to replace both of the batteries in a dual system at the same time, with the same type of batteries so that the engine will charge them evenly when out on the water. I've also heard that your primary battery for the engine should be a "starting" battery, and the other should be a deep cycle with a large reserve capacity for accessories.

I'm also about to install a two-bank on-board battery charger, to charge both batteries individually with float charge capability.

I'm in the military, and the marina on base is selling InterState SRM29 marine/RV deep cycle batteries for $87.00 each, which seems like a good deal after looking around at prices online (seems to around $140-$160).

Recommendations? Should I get two of the same battery, or different (one starting, one deep cycle)? Should I get these Interstate ones or something else? Here are the specs on those:

Interstate Deep Cycle/Cranking - 12 Volt

BCI Grp#: 29M

Interstate Type: SRM-29

RC (Min.) 25A: 210

Warranty (Months): 30

Hrs. at Ampere Load: 21 (5), 6.4 (15) 3.4 (25)

Dimensions: 13 x 6-3/4 x 10

Weight: 61

Terminal: Auto/Stud posts
Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,903 Likes on 956 Posts

I would just replace the bad battery. You don't need to replace both unless they are wired together. Since it is used mainly as a house battery, I would go with the Interstate 29 that you listed. It is a deep cycle battery. I use one for my stereo and its 2 seasons old. Also, at $87, the price can't be beat. Mine was over $100 and that was at a discount. You will probably need a new battery box so it will fit.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I found the distributer for Exide here in town and went there direct,They will sell to the public.I bought the seconds[blem] orbital blue and black top style for 60.there lasting fine.no fumes either
Rob

before and after,no caustic fumes,no adding water etc
Attached Thumbnails Buying new batteries... advice?-11-07-2-006-large-.jpg   Buying new batteries... advice?-hustler%2520insatll%25203-15-06%2520033%2520%2528medium%2529.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.