Crane Rocker Arm Stud Failure >

Crane Rocker Arm Stud Failure

Notices

Crane Rocker Arm Stud Failure

Old 08-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

the stock roller lifters are rated for .570 lift max!!! of the rockers wont get enough oil to them... also check the bottom of the rockers for binding at max lift,may need to massage them a little to keep from binding on the stud..
Old 08-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
Is that for solid lifters only or hydraulic lifters as well?

If hydraulic lifter can causee stud failure as well is it when the lifter is too loose or too tight that causes the stud to break?
I have seen it more on Solid and when the rocker is too loose but if the initial adjustment is way off on a hydraulic I would imagine you could also break stress the stud!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comp Cam CCA-929 springs and the stock 496HO roller lifters.

I run at 5500 - 5800 occasionally but mostly cruise at 2500 - 3000 rpm which was the speed I was running when the stud let go. Does the floating of the valves have to be occuring when the stud breaks or can the stud be damaged and break later at a lower rpm?
Seems reasonable that you can crack the stud and have it fail at lower rpm.

Looks like there are some good ideas to pursue. Found anything yet? Broken spring is easy. Checking pushrods is easy. I would think that you would hear tapping if a rocker arm was loose, right? Also I would think that too tight a lash on the rocker arm would hold the valve open and you would've noticed a lot of problems before the stud broke.

My 502's with Crane hydraulic lifters floated the valves on the dyno at 5600 rpm, just a thought. Morel lifters didn't float up to 6000 (stopped the pulls at 6000).

If you were putting all the springs into coil bind you wouldve broke a lot of stuff before 200 hours.

Don't know about the lift issue with 496 lifters, definitely something to look at there.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
the stock roller lifters are rated for .570 lift max!!! of the rockers wont get enough oil to them...
Thanks. Where is the 496HO lifter max lift rating information available at/from?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 502ss
I have seen it more on Solid and when the rocker is too loose but if the initial adjustment is way off on a hydraulic I would imagine you could also break stress the stud!
Your experience is that a valve train with too much clearance can experience rocker arm stud breakage...............as apposed to the valve train being too tight as being the cause for rocker arm stud breakage.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Seems reasonable that you can crack the stud and have it fail at lower rpm.ARP seemed to think the pictures of my broken stud could be consistant with a fatigue failure precipitated by an initial crack in the stud (not ARP)

Looks like there are some good ideas to pursue. Found anything yet? No.Broken spring is easy. Spring compressor to arrive ThursdayChecking pushrods is easy. Push rod is not bent.I would think that you would hear tapping if a rocker arm was loose, right? The hydraulic lifters were properly adjusted so no noise until the stud broke.Also I would think that too tight a lash on the rocker arm would hold the valve open and you would've noticed a lot of problems before the stud broke.Lifters are hydraulic and properly adjusted so lash was good.

My 502's with Crane hydraulic lifters floated the valves on the dyno at 5600 rpm, just a thought. Morel lifters didn't float up to 6000 (stopped the pulls at 6000). Were both tested with the same valve springs?

If you were putting all the springs into coil bind you wouldve broke a lot of stuff before 200 hours. Agreed.

Don't know about the lift issue with 496 lifters, definitely something to look at there.Yes but then why no problems of insufficient oiling for all those hours?
Let us know how it goes.
Should know more Thursday.

Last edited by Rage; 08-31-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My dyno pulls were with the same springs, different lifters.

Also check to make sure that the pushrods are the correct length, a long shot but it is part of the process.

Don't know about the lift issue with 496 lifters, definitely something to look at there.Yes but then why no problems of insufficient oiling for all those hours? Good point
Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

rage i had a lifter go bad ,,,it knocked the push rod off the rocker arm,,,the hydraulic lifter would not compress at all,,,was told it could of broke the stud,,,in my case it didnt
Old 09-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

Thanks. Where is the 496HO lifter max lift rating information available at/from?
Sorry i didnt realize you had a newer 496 ho,i was refering to the gen 6 style lifters, you may want to check with comp cams and they could tell you.. on aanother note, your lifter adjustment is also critical as well..most hyvrolic lifter now a days have a pre load adjustment which means they can be compressed before it opens the valve..most people have their own way of adjusting hydrolic lifters and some set them to their max limits which is not good for the valve trane..a lifter can be comppressed a max of .100 1 full turn, i like to set mine at 0.25-.050 1/4-1/2 turn, this will allow a little cushion just in case your lifter shoud malfunction and fully pump up it wont go the full .100 and the valves wont crash into the pistons..
Old 09-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
Sorry i didnt realize you had a newer 496 ho,i was refering to the gen 6 style lifters, you may want to check with comp cams and they could tell you.. on aanother note, your lifter adjustment is also critical as well..most hyvrolic lifter now a days have a pre load adjustment which means they can be compressed before it opens the valve..most people have their own way of adjusting hydrolic lifters and some set them to their max limits which is not good for the valve trane..a lifter can be comppressed a max of .100 1 full turn, i like to set mine at 0.25-.050 1/4-1/2 turn, this will allow a little cushion just in case your lifter shoud malfunction and fully pump up it wont go the full .100 and the valves wont crash into the pistons..
That is very interesting. Exactly how does a hydraulic lifter malfunction so that it would pump up its adjustment length and thereby hold a valve open against the valve spring preload?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.