Crane Rocker Arm Stud Failure >

Crane Rocker Arm Stud Failure

Notices

Crane Rocker Arm Stud Failure

Old 09-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just finished checking the last few items that could have contributed to the stud failure. The spring was fine as was the lifter functionality. All tha seems to be left is a stud fatigue failure. Thanks for all the input. New ARP studs now installed.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Registered

Just read this,I had the same problem last year.I would be just cruising and hear the pop in the valve cover.The top of the polylock was laying in the head.Long story short broke two.I replaced all the studs with ARP and a little longer.I was only using about 3/8 + of the threads with the poly.I figured I needed more thread into the poly.Problem solved,I broke some lifters also,bottoms shattered.Put all new lifters in also,different manufacture.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by AIRFOIL292
Just read this,I had the same problem last year.I would be just cruising and hear the pop in the valve cover.The top of the polylock was laying in the head.Long story short broke two.I replaced all the studs with ARP and a little longer.I was only using about 3/8 + of the threads with the poly.I figured I needed more thread into the poly.Problem solved,I broke some lifters also,bottoms shattered.Put all new lifters in also,different manufacture.
How profetic you should post your experience. I reassembled everything and even though it now runs there is a noticable lifter/valve train noise similar to a solid lifter set up that is not normal for my engine. All I can figure is that the hydraulic roller lifter now will not hold pressure. Maybe that was the original cause of the failure.

I plan to replace the lifters. Anyoen know if there are any issues with this brand for a 496HO engine?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp-Cams/249/900-16/10002/-1
Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

Originally Posted by Rage
How profetic you should post your experience. I reassembled everything and even though it now runs there is a noticable lifter/valve train noise similar to a solid lifter set up that is not normal for my engine. All I can figure is that the hydraulic roller lifter now will not hold pressure. Maybe that was the original cause of the failure.

I plan to replace the lifters. Anyoen know if there are any issues with this brand for a 496HO engine?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp-Cams/249/900-16/10002/-1
What is your maximum cam lift? remember as i posted .570 lift max on stock gm lifters..if it were me i would call rm builders and ask bob if he has a set of moral lifters for your engine..as far as im concerned moral is the best lifter money can buy and remember the valve trane is the hart of your engine and takes the most abuse..

Dont know if this was mentioned,did yu check coil bind on the valve springs?

Last edited by FIXX; 09-09-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
What is your maximum cam lift? remember as i posted .570 lift max on stock gm lifters..if it were me i would call rm builders and ask bob if he has a set of moral lifters for your engine..as far as im concerned moral is the best lifter money can buy and remember the valve trane is the hart of your engine and takes the most abuse..

Dont know if this was mentioned,did yu check coil bind on the valve springs?
I thought that you had remembered that the 0.570" max stock GM lifter lift limit did not apply to the newer 496 GM engine? I have had an inguiry into Bob on what is available for my engine from Morel.

Yes, no coil bind issue.

Thanks.