Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Condensation on oil breathers...why??? >

Condensation on oil breathers...why???

Notices

Condensation on oil breathers...why???

Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Condensation on oil breathers...why???

I have newly rebuilt 502's. While running on the hose see vapor out of breathers and some condensation. No milk in oil but have only run them for a short time. Have Gil exhaust with long wet exhaust low rise. I am in Hawaii so the water to air diff is not great. If I am getting reversion is it possible to see condensation before milky oil? Any ideas.
Thanks!

Also can any one suggest a shop who can modify these risers? Lengthen them to almost dry, don't think I want to be that loud.

Last edited by dgoodman; 09-10-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have oil temp gauge ? need to make sure the oil temp gets up to 220 or so to get rid of the moisture, running on a hose you can't run long enough...Rob
Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
do you have oil temp gauge ? need to make sure the oil temp gets up to 220 or so to get rid of the moisture, running on a hose you can't run long enough...Rob

+1

The best way to check for reversion is to pull off a riser after you have been running the boat in the water for a while and brought the oil up to temp. Imidiately after a long idle time, pull one off and look for water droplets along the bottom of the riser.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Registered

Default Thanks....

Thanks, I'll check Oil temp.

I did remove a riser after an idle and saw moisture al the way back to the elbow but no droplets.

I'll check again!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

If you are running on the hose, the boat could easily be sitting at a different angle also. If the stern is sitting higher, it will change the angle of the risers and may possibly allow some reversion. Most likely, its just some condensation on the breathers though.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dgoodman
Thanks, I'll check Oil temp.

I did remove a riser after an idle and saw moisture al the way back to the elbow but no droplets.

I'll check again!

Was it (teeny tiny drops) tightly grouped in a concentrated area? If so that sounds like condensation. It can happen in areas of the riser that the water gets blasted past in the riser jacket and generally is nothing to worry about as it will change with increased throttle and water pressure.

Reversion would be big drops of water and usually a wet trail along the bottom of the riser up to the elbow.