Starts In Gear >

Starts In Gear

Notices

Starts In Gear

Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts In Gear

my boat starts in gearits a 1996 7.4 mpi mercruiser, with the on red and one black shifter can anyone tell me what to do to stop this its kinda dangerous and i seem to only get 3400 rpm on the tack and it think its doing more and i have the setting on the back of the tack on 8cyl its a 1974 wellcraft nova 25 and on the gps its going 42 mph and it falls off the plane at about 16 mph and the tack says 2100 rpm any help would be appericated thanks james and im wondering what someone would think the fuel milage should be im thinking its like around 1 mpg , should it be better the outdrive is a bravo 3
Old 09-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie
my boat starts in gearits a 1996 7.4 mpi mercruiser, with the on red and one black shifter can anyone tell me what to do to stop this its kinda dangerous and i seem to only get 3400 rpm on the tack and it think its doing more and i have the setting on the back of the tack on 8cyl its a 1974 wellcraft nova 25 and on the gps its going 42 mph and it falls off the plane at about 16 mph and the tack says 2100 rpm any help would be appericated thanks james and im wondering what someone would think the fuel milage should be im thinking its like around 1 mpg , should it be better the outdrive is a bravo 3

just had this happened to me in a friend of mines boat who left his boat up north for a while. it's like a 98 powerquest. i dam near parked the thing on the dock. people were scattering everywhere. a little embarasing and yes dangerous.

get the boat in neautral at idle and then shut it down. pull the cable end off that goes to the transom and then go back to your shifter and put it in the neautral position. then adjust the cable end to the proper length. this should do it however your cables may be stretched beyond adjustment also. i'm sure there are other ways to do it however this has always worked for me.

if the boat is on the trailer you can do it by spinning the prop and finding neautral and making the adjustments also. be sure and check you neautral safty switch. that could your problem also. perhaps it is stuck.

Last edited by getrdunn; 09-10-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jimmie - use punctuation in your sentences. Not knock'n ya bud.... just that it would be easier to read/understand your posts.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

Either the shift cable is way out of adjustment or the nuetral safety is bad or a wire came off it somewhere.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidnova
jimmie - use punctuation in your sentences. Not knock'n ya bud.... just that it would be easier to read/understand your posts.

I needed a good laugh