Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone who ran LC or stayED in Harmon have a black soot on boat? >

Anyone who ran LC or stayED in Harmon have a black soot on boat?

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I stayed in Harmon and when we got out there was a black soot that wouldnt come off the boat. I went straight to a car wash and used the foam brush and still didn;t come off Got home and ued hull cleaner on it and still didn't come off. Finally a combo of some mildew remover and a Mr Cleas magic eraser got it off, but it took me 3 hours to get this line off the boat. Anyone else experience this? Or know what it is?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soot from generators. Happens every year.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What is te best remedy for cleaning this? Is it better to stay at state dock in the future or is this just unavoidable?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I get it every time I spend a full day in 76 falls, now Harmon, or at State Dock during the poker run. As said, exhaust soot/oil from all the motors. (Just think of the necklace you recieve if you went swimming in Harmon. ) I always wipe the boat down right after pulled out of the water before the black stuff can dry and has always worked great coming off. On the spots I've missed, I'll use a multipurpose spray foam/cleaner such as Tuff Stuff from AutoZone stores to get the rest off. Never had to scrub it off yet.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 09-17-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mrfixxall

Originally Posted by kyboy1020
I stayed in Harmon and when we got out there was a black soot that wouldnt come off the boat. I went straight to a car wash and used the foam brush and still didn;t come off Got home and ued hull cleaner on it and still didn't come off. Finally a combo of some mildew remover and a Mr Cleas magic eraser got it off, but it took me 3 hours to get this line off the boat. Anyone else experience this? Or know what it is?
Premimum unleaded fuel can cause soot,most slow burning fuels willl cause it. also if you have carberators make sure the chokes are opening all the way..
Old 09-17-2009, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Before the Poker Run I always coat at least the water line with a heavy coat of wax. Clean the water line daily. Mine came home perfect.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
Before the Poker Run I always coat at least the water line with a heavy coat of wax. Clean the water line daily. Mine came home perfect.
Our boats were right next to each other and mine had a major ring and your was no so bad. The wax helped.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Registered

I had it to. I spent the day light hours in Harmons and slipped it at J-town. I wiped it down as soon as I pulled off the water. I did not have any problem with it coming off.

I guess I better go check it out for any spots I may have missed.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Registered

wiped ours down as soon as the lift brings it our of the water, it all came right off.

if you park at state during the run your black line will be worse than in harmon for the weekend. All the boats on boatel row are using gens.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Registered
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

we had the same line after Sat.,went out to a quiet cove sun evening and just sponged it off. Pulled out sun. and sprayed simple green around the water line and all is clean as a whistle. After boating at the river each weekend all it takes is a quick spraying of the green stuff and we're good to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.