460 Liberator problem >

460 Liberator problem

Notices

460 Liberator problem

Old 09-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 460 Liberator problem

Hello, I just bought a really clean liberator 211 with a 460 omc king cobra. I am having a problem with a jerking when I am in gear. It is more likely to happen at lower speeds but it does happen once in awhile at high speeds. Also I am having trouble going from reverse back into neutral, I have to shut the boat off to put it back into neutral and then start it up again. I think it might be a shift cable is stretched out. Any thoughts? It is kinda hard to explain the problem. Let me know if I need to explain it better. Thanks

Last edited by 86braden; 09-22-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMC had all kinds of issues with shift cables back then, even had a recall, and the interupter switches used to make the unit shift are a problem too.....the plus is the drives are pretty decent....now that 460 ford ????
Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 88 241 Liberator. The first season I had it, I destroyed the gears in the outdrive 3 times. Couldn't shift the boat, felt like a cable issue, turns out it wasn't. Upgraded all gears and didn't have any more problems. The biggest OMC Cobra outdrive, stock, couldn't handle the HP of the 460. Hopefully you have an easy fix, and I hope my problems can help you.