Builder for a new set of spare engines >

Builder for a new set of spare engines

Notices

Builder for a new set of spare engines

Old 10-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CcanDo
Do you prefer none, single or double lube tubes, DLC pins, coated pistons, non inner-cooled ?
None. I will use piston oilers to keep the pins lubed and the pistons temps down in a dry sump application. As for the coatings, it can't hurt. It all depends on the app. That will determine if it is neccessary.In my 1200/1400, the only thing coated is the bearings. Never had a need to coat anything else. I just haven't seen the need to fix something that isn't broken.
In your case, I would spend the money on an intercooler and not worry about all the coatings for the power you are trying to make. I'm not saying the coatings do not work. I am all about overbuilding and doing whatever is needed to make the most reliable and longest lasting engine possible. I just don't think they are neccessary for what you are trying to accomplish.
Eddie
Old 10-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These engines will safely make the power they make. Sure, some want the moon and want it to run on junk fuel. Reasonable, safe power with durability is "our" objective. We are of the opinion enough power will push a barn wall as fast as you want to go. We're also of the opinion, proper hull set up and a couple of other non typical things will do what we want it to do, with less power. For example, recently we were involved with making changes to a high profile boat that would run 148, after changes 161+.

The inner cooler is an interesting subject. Personally, we would rather invest in piston sprayers, lube tubes,
DLC pins, coated pistons, dry sump w/vacuum and etc. Anything to keep the holes as cool as possible, while adding durability. We're also suspicious the blower by pass valve is another area that needs development, would reduce heat, and add durability. If there is an inner cooler w/dimpled fins angled and spaced to the various runners then we need that also, a little more boost and perhaps a 1671, providing for under drive.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardCranium572
Torrington bearings are never bad unless they come apart. You're wasting your time worrying about friction loss via the cam journal at this point in your endeavor.

If you really want to have an indestructible valve train, start looking at 82 C rockwell camshaft and 1" flat tappet with 2:1 rocker ratio. You can achieve better valve stability and longevity.

As fast or can be faster than most roller profiles and will live longer than the short block.
Richard, Good point, are you referring to the Mopar combination....lifter bushings or not ?