496 MAG upgrade questions >

496 MAG upgrade questions

Notices

496 MAG upgrade questions

Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 MAG upgrade questions

I know this has been asked before but looking for clarification..
1. Will just exhaust really add 30-50 HP on a 496 mag?
2. Cam and ecu worth it on a 496 mag?
3. Is it easier to buy a clean 496HO and just drop in?

Just looking for some options for a family boat that could use another 50HP
Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink 123 Your It!

Risky:

1. Good exhaust headers or real header manifolds can add about 30-40HP to a 496 Mag if you have transom exhaust outlets without a lot of crazy s-pipes or elbows.
2. Reprogramming the stock mag ecm will not add any horsepower.
3. No, the easiest thing to do is add the exhaust headers or header manifolds, or next change the cam and ecm program will add about 50HP plus exhaust HP if done, or add a Raylar BCK103 kit with our ECM reprogram and you'll have 525HP with stock exhaust or 565-570 HP with exhaust header upgrade added.
If your stock 496 is in good shape, stay there and build on that as your pocketbook, patience and budget allow.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 10-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Registered

I vote for rays idea, I just finished building twin 496 ho's with the raylar kits. All I can say is that Ray is a first class guy. He also stands behide his parts. Any questions I had he alway gave me the right advice. not to metion the way they sound.........
Old 10-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

When I looked into doing the same things your talking about I found out that the cost of the labor to pull the engines and replace the cam and reprograming the ECM's was more than the parts. If you change the cam and reprogram the ECM's I think you will be sadly dissappointed with the increase in performance(mph). Raylar is first class, their parts are first class, although not cheap, and you will see a significant power increase. If you choose to go with Raylar your lower unit will probably be at lisk depending on how you treat it. IMO
Jay
Old 10-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Let's Stay somewhat accurate on costs

Never Enuff, not sure who quoted you on a change over to Raylar kits , but even with pulling the engines, adding the kits, re-installing the engines and a water test most shops are doing this conversion all over the country for approximatly $2200-$2400 per engine and thats a lot less than the cost of the packages. Some times some shops either have no expierence at this kind of thing so they over estimate the time required, they are just to slow at this type of work or they got a big bill comin up they got to pay or something, but that statement that the install costs almost as much as the kits is not really accurate. Just like to keep the actual scenarios a little closer to reality with most installers.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 10-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Ray,
What I meant to say is the labor cost to pull the engines was more than the price to change a Mag to an HO (change cam's and reprogram the ECM's only). I was not talking about installing your kit. Does that make more sense now??? Sorry for the confusion.
Jay

Last edited by never enuff; 10-02-2009 at 11:39 PM.