Crane HI-6 Ignition wiring problem, Need Help >

Crane HI-6 Ignition wiring problem, Need Help

Notices

Crane HI-6 Ignition wiring problem, Need Help

Old 04-07-2002, 06:07 PM
99baja342

Question Crane HI-6 Ignition wiring problem, Need Help

RE: Stock 1999 502 Mag MPI Gen VI

I have installed Crane Cams HI-6 ignition boxes and LX-92 coils. It finally got warm enough outside to start the engines and drain the antifreeze. PROBLEM...Engines will not start. It has something to do with wiring the HI-6 into the wiring system. The status LED lights up when the ignition switch is turned on but the engine will not start. When the engine is cracking, the status LED lights solid, it does not blink. The manual says to check the magnetic trigger. I may have the magnetic trigger wires connected wrong. My concern is the violet and green magnetic trigger wires coming from the HI-6. I think all the other HI-6 wires are functioning correctly such as the thin red ignition wire, heavy red bat + wire, heavy black ground wire. I have the HI-6 violet mag+ wire connected to the pink wire coming from the distributor and the HI-6 green mag- wire connected to the brown wire coming from the distributor. The brown and pink wires were in one connector that use to go from the distributor to the original coil. The other connector coming from the distributor has 4 wires(blk/red, tan/blk, pur/wht, wht) going to the ECM, I did not connect any wires from the HI-6 to these. The HI-6 manual states to make sure the mag+ and mag- are connected to the distributor's mag+ and mag-. Well, Mercruiser's service manual does not define the mag+ and mag- on the distributor. Should the HI-6 magnetic trigger wires be connected to something else? What am I doing wrong?

Old 04-07-2002, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could help if it wasnt an MPI. There site has a world of information and there technical help dept is really good. I would call them tomorow and ask. The number I have in my book is 904-258-6174 but they may have an 800 tech number listed on their site.
Old 04-13-2002, 08:15 PM
99baja342

Lightbulb

formula31

Thanks for your reply! Hope your invite to hit all the hot spots is still open. We want to take you up on that journey as soon as the weather gets warmer!

Well, this is what happened with the HI-6M boxes....I called Crane and talked to Steve. He really knows his boxes! The 502 Mag MPI Gen VI engines have a computer on board that conflicts with the HI-6M boxes. The computer gives the curve needed and the boxes and coils enhance the spark. He suggested the HI-6R boxes with the LX-92 coils. Summit Racing exchanged the boxes for me. I installed the HI-6R boxes and coils today. Wiring these boxes and coils into the system were extremely simple. The engines started right up with this set up. Tomorrow, we are going to play a little on Lake Erie!

Again, thanks for your input!

Old 04-13-2002, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, glad it worked out. Im still in pieces. Hope to have one engine together tomorow. Still have a ton to do on the engine compartment. Hope to be done by memorial day. Ill be running hi-6's this year too.