87 Formula 242ss Opinions

Notices

87 Formula 242ss Opinions

Old 10-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Formula 242ss Opinions

Hey guys, new to the OO crowd!

I am currently looking at an 87' Formula 242ss for $7k. My question is what do people think of these boats and is it worth the money? the boat is next to spotless and looks like its sat in a garage all its life. it has a little over 400hrs on it from new but would never show the hours. i am also worried about the alpha drive on it, being that they are a little weak for a big block engine. it has been replaced with an aftermarket sterndrive engineering drive which im also a little worried about.

I currently have a 96 baja outlaw 20 and i'm looking to upgrade to something bigger. alot of people have told me that this boat will not be real fast (45-50 top speed) b/c of the low hp (330 i think) 454ci engine, alpha drive, and heavy hull. what can i expect the speed of this boat to be? i am willing to sacrifice some speed for ride quality but not too much. i'm used to a 64mph top speed in my outlaw, so 50ish mph would be like swimming down the lake...haha....

any and all information given on the 242ss would be greatly appreciated, being that i dont know that much about formula's. thanks for the help!!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Transom rot would be my biggest concern. Lots of those 80s Formulas have it. Everything else could be fixed fairly easily but not that.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

hondahp4 -

Welcome. Check out The Complete 242 Thread for lots of info (likely biased by us 242 owners )

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...42-thread.html
Old 10-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow great thread!!! can't believe i missed that!!

i'm worried about not being happy with the speed on a baseline 330hp bbc. if i'm only going to get max 50 out of it, and im stuck with an alpha drive, then i can't really upgrade anything without going to a bravo drive. a freshened up 454 with a procharger would be a nasty upgrade, but that would toast the alpha drive. do i need to replace the bell housing and everything on the transom to be able to run a bravo on a factory alpha boat?