transom water pick up installation

Notices

transom water pick up installation

Old 10-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bajamann
Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards the Hardin marine 410-BK-1084 adjustable transom pick up.
When the install is done is it ok to block off the water hose from the drive, or will this result in drive overheating? Can I install a tee and pull water through both the transom pickup and the drive?
Also, in related links, I have read that excessive water pressure may be a problem at high speeds and that a "dump valve" should be installed ahead of the seawater pump. Is this accurate?
Thanks
The 496HO with closed cooling and the Bravo X1 drive with the gear case low water pickup system is spec'd up to 50 psi water pressure. You should have no problems of excess water pressure with a transum water pick up. It is the folks that use direct sea water cooling that really need a dump valve to protect the engine cooling system from excess water pressure....ie above about 30 psi max. The real area to be carefull with is to get enough cooling water esprcially with a stepped hull aerating the water.

Last edited by Rage; 10-15-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rage
The 496HO with closed cooling and the Bravo X1 drive with the gear case low water pickup system is spec'd up to 50 psi water pressure. You should have no problems of excess water pressure with a transum water pick up. It is the folks that use direct sea water cooling that really need a dump valve to protect the engine cooling system from excess water pressure....ie above about 30 psi max. The real area to be carefull with is to get enough cooling water esprcially with a stepped hull aerating the water.
Correct... closed cooled motors do not circulate the raw water thru the motor. On a 496, the only water from the lake/ocean is going thru the various coolers, then thru the heat exchanger, and out the exhaust system. Typical full throttle water pressure is between 40 and 50 psi. This is fine. You do not want to install a pressure regulator in this type of system. Max water flow is what you are after.

Rage is also correct in that proper pickup location is crucial as to not get aireated water due to steps in the hull.

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 10-16-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I second Chris' input. No regulator. With the seawater circuit, the higher the volume the more it cools and won't logically rupture the tube used. The most important is placing the pickup to not get air in the circuit. That really reduces the system's cooling efficiency.

Russ
Old 12-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

If you decide to go with the external pickups, the way you keep the water going through the drives is to drill and tap the upper case of the drive and put a pipe fitting in. You should also re tap and put a pipe plug in the helmet part of the gimbal as well as plug the transom water inlet. Here is a photo of mine. I would not use anodized aluminum fittings in salt water as mine in freshwater corrode very fast.
Attached Thumbnails transom water pick up installation-dcbdriveweb.jpg  
Old 12-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get out the hole saw G!!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is another plumbing option if you have an extension box or if you wanted to dump the water back thru the transom to the top of the drive.
Attached Thumbnails transom water pick up installation-imgp0486.jpg  
Old 01-25-2020, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
You can block off the water thru the drive into the transom. You then tap into the side of the upper unit, to hit the water source, and use this for a drive shower.

Chris
Chris, can you show an example of where you tap in the upper?
Old 01-25-2020, 12:37 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MER Performance
They over-charged you , that can be done with only removing the drive, helmet and bellows assembly. I've done it before.
I just wanted to point out and KNOW THIS IS AN OLD POST. Merc warranty the repairs and they did it per MERC book times and procedures per how the OEM wanted it done. To get the warranty done especially for the boat owner sake and his no expense out of pocket ---- one has to follow the OEM instructions plus ship back all the old parts to MERC that were covered under warranty.

With that said the dealer here did exactly what was needed as it sounds like. . I just hate when boaters think that they got ripped off by true marine dealers in the industry. Yes some do get ripped off and many do not. And for the record book times are not in the dealer favor either . Just saying and wanted to bring this up form a 11 year post.

Last edited by BUP; 01-25-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:39 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bajamann
I have a 2005 baja275 with a 496ho / bravo x drive (closed cooling). A year and a half ago boat spent 6 months in shop due to overheating condition. It was eventually determined to be a blockage due to corroded inserts at the transom assembly water hose- $2500 repair to pull drive and motor, replace transom ass'y. Merc warranty covered repairs. Apparantly this is a common problem. I am developing the same problem again and would like to bypass the drive plumbing by installing an adjustable transom water pickup. Is this a reasonable approach, or am I asking for trouble? It seems this can cause issues with excessive water pressure. Any advice would be appreciated!

Says Merc warranty covered repairs just bringing this up that's all
Old 01-25-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

I had that set up on my Pantera. I would still run a hose from the inner transom water port to a hull dump. There could be too much water pressure at speed with just the drive shower.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.