Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
what noises does your engine make when you have reversion? >

what noises does your engine make when you have reversion?

Notices

what noises does your engine make when you have reversion?

Old 04-09-2002, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what noises does your engine make when you have reversion?

My marina said my problem could be that my exhaust manifolds may have rotted out inside and I might be sucking water into the heads/cyl's .
What does your engine sound like when you have reversion?
Thanks guys
Jason
Old 04-09-2002, 12:13 PM
Registered

It's nothing that you would actually hear. Reversion usually happens when you have a large cam and the motor sucks some water back in through the manifolds and through an open valve...Aren't you motors stock??

Anyway, what makes you marina think you have reversion?? Is there water in the motor?? You can pull you manifolds and look for water/rust spots inside the exhaust chambers. Or pull them and have them pressure tested.

What marina are you using anyway??
Old 04-09-2002, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's minor water intrusion, you will probably not hear anything. If the water is extensive, the motor may "hydro" lock. That you will know! You will start hearing little metallics clicks, clangs, etc from loose valve train, lifter & push rod parts flying around! Louder noises if you are not so lucky!!
If the water gets in while sitting, the only way to clear it is to turn the engine over backwards (tuff work) by hand to pump the water out. We had to do that to a couple of boats last summer. no fun. My friend was lucky, only had broken/bent guide plates, bent rocker arm, destroyed a push rod. all parts did stay in the valve cover tho' so no tear down, just a thorough flushing after replacements were made.
You could pull your plugs after cooldown and check for water blowing out the plug holes.
Good luck !
Old 04-09-2002, 12:21 PM
Registered

AHHHH my buddy lives!!!!
How goes it my man?

Okay first im using Pontarellis in Ivyland PA (around the corner from me)
They are authorized Merc facility so im good there
I told him about the banging I had and he was speculating that I had reversion and that is why it was banging and it was backfiring out the carb ect
He was going to pull the exhaust tubing off the riser and take a peek in there
He said since they are origional manifolds, he bets they are trashed. (that remains to be seen) my gut feeling is that it is still in the head or a timing issue
#1 broken spring,
#2 sucked a valve
#3 bent a valve
#4 bad plug or wire
#5 bad cap and rotor
#6 chipped valve
#7 some sort of deposit on the valve seat not allowing the valve to shut 100%

Now the engine runs and only bangs when under load which would mean drive right?
okay, at idle it sounds funny and is intermittant
When under load, it is fine until you reach 1800 RPM's
THEN it starts acting up
This one has me confused but ill pull it apart when I get it back from the marina and I will find out what the hell is wrong
Im just really praying that it is something f*ing stupid and nothing major
The marina just nailed me for 2560 in repairs to the gimbal ring, bellows and trim senders (all being replaced)
Thank god the gimal bearings look 100% and the gimbal ring and swivel shaft on port side has just been redone in the past 2 years so this should be it for a while (assuming i dont trash anything or forget to back the throttles off if I come out of water)

So how goes it my friend?
Jason
Old 04-09-2002, 12:52 PM
Registered

I'm doin alright..just trying to get my junk ready for the season! Got a couple more (full) days on it and i should be done.

Is there any signs of water in you motor?? If you are leaking water into the motor through bad manifolds enough to cause "banging" noises....you should have a signs of water in there somewhere! It too sounds to me there is a valve train problem somewhere. I don't think it's in the drive, or the coupler for that matter.....If your running it with a bad spline in the coupler, it wouldn't take long at all for the motor to spin that spline clean once it starts slipping (banging).

Does the motor ever get past 1800? and does the banging increase with RPM?

Mark
Old 04-09-2002, 12:59 PM
Registered

Well I would back off the throttles and just sort of troll around at about 10 MPH to prevent that bang bang bang back there
The boat would shake when that bang happened too like i was hitting something with the prop (but I was in 45 ft of water)
Very strange but ill find it
Ordered all sorts of goodies from jegs and just waiting for them to be delivered today
Got 2 polished performer intakes (not performer rpm) got 2 blaster high vibration coils, chrome everything, tune up stuff, wires, cap rotors, plugs new air scoops and a hatch it remote control setup so I can open, close engine hatch from about 500 ft away (will be wild at night at Dave and busters with color changing neon tubes and all the chrome and engine hatch mirrors working off of that remote control )

The bang was intermittant yes, at 1750 rpm's it would be fine for a few minutes and then BANG
so i would back them off just a touch and it was fine then maybe 1 minute later BANG --- BANG BANG
and it would stop
like a valve or something was sticking open or somthing
I did not wind it up cause I was scared and did not want to trash anything so I just basically made a huge circle for about an hour and went back, dumped it on the trailer, hauled it out and licked my wounds and went home like a wouss
Figured I would get to it and then SNAP the cold set in about a week later and then I just winterized it and said to my self , SELF WE WILL GET TO THIS IN THE SPRING
winterized engines, covered everything with plastic after fogging the F*ck out of it and kablam
she sat on side of the house till 3 weeks ago, towed her to ivyland and she has been there ever since
Jason
Old 04-09-2002, 01:17 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

You say "Bang", yet describe the sensation as if you were hitting something with the prop. Often when the clutches start going bad the drive will try to jump out of gear. This feels EXACTLY like you just hit something. Mine only did it at idle, and only occasionaly, otherwise the boat performed normally. I never heard anything audible though.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:17 PM
Registered

WOW that remote hatch does sound pretty cool!! What kind of air scoops did you get....scoops on the sundeck??

If you need a hand figuring out the banging (that is after you get your misc. BLING BLING items installed )....let me know. I'll meet you down the ramp or something.

Mark
Old 04-09-2002, 01:52 PM
Registered

I got blower scoops for each carb (with the 3 butterflies that actuate from the carb linkage)
As you open the throttle the butterflies will open with it
They are from Mr Gasket for single carb application
I have always liked that look and I saw in Powerboat mag from a while ago a 40 Hallett had them on there and it just looked bad ass, I was worried about restricted air flow but that hallett hit 100 on GPS and had no additional air flow into the engine compartment so I figured ill do it as well.
If I feel that it is restricted, Ill put additional venting into engine compartment to offset the air restriction problem if need be. I'm Trying to jazz it all up at the same time as get this crap working well
The hatch it remote i first saw in the Eddie Marine perf catalog, but you can go to their site at
WWW.Hatch-It.Com
i got the basic kit from a company Yachtsee.com for 172.00

Plugs right into your engine hatch actuator OR at the dash at the switch
So ill figure out where im putting it and get that installed.
Stuff just arrived from Jegs and im happier than a kid in a candy store right now HEHEHEHE

Any help with this stuff would be a definate plus, the intake manifolds will be here tomorrow and the hatch it will be here probaby by Friday so if I get the boat back on Friday I know what Ill be doing this weekend
The marina guy (Brian) said he would pull the cap off the drive as well and check for metal shavings or something, he said you might have hosed the cone in the drive if you did get airborne and not pull the throttles back at all. that is a common problem that he sees so he said.

When I winterized the engines, I did notice that the starboard engine was sort of sputtering SLIGHTLY and slightly ticking so that is why I dont think it is a drive problem, I did not have the engine under load or the drive engaged at all (that is not too smart on a trailer out of water) I did not throttle it up high either I just let it idle for about 20 minutes with the antifreeze and pumping it with my pool cover pump on a garden hose with the muffs.

Assuming I can get this engine problem worked out, Im going to have one incredible summer , guys, this is what I have been working for for 16 years, and now it is getting warmer and warmer here and im ready to jump out of my skin, GOD come on summer, lets rock
Guys thanks for all the help with this and believe me once I figure out the problems Ill be sure to post them up here and the results of all the performance mods i plan on doing in the next few weeks
Jason
Old 04-09-2002, 05:08 PM
Registered

If you are burning any water in a cylinder it will show on the spark plug as "washed". That is extremely clean as in steam cleaned. Plugs should have a nice tan light carbon look to them. You will be able to tell by comparing them if you have a problem,

BT

Quick Reply: what noises does your engine make when you have reversion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.