Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Time for more Whipple power >

Time for more Whipple power

Notices

Time for more Whipple power

Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been lagging on the pictures, but not the work. I measured and made models of the tail pipes. These were then sent to IMCO to build them. Dave and Air at IMCO are very helpful with this process. I am changing the exhaust tips to 4.5" so my exhaust will be dry all the way to the tips. I have also finished all the plumbing of all the hoses. I have installed the hood and made the cut for the blower to clear. I am now working on what type of scoop or vent I am going to use.
The tail pipes were sent to me yesterday so I might here her rumble this weekend. I will get some more pics in the next few days.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Blow Hard Eliminator!

Mitch:

Great rigging and workmanship as usual! Like that trick of using pvc pipe sections and elbows for the exhaust tip mockup.
couple of suggestions though. One, have the header tip outlet water put in the lower vertical drop section of the tip, pointing out straight towards the tip opening out the back of the boat. this will keep all the exhaust water routing out the tip where it belongs, not backing up in the engine at idle and such.
Two, I am not so sure its a good idea to have that oil filter pointed straight out the front, right next to the belts. I guess if you lost a belt you would probably be shutting down pretty quick, but the oil mess would be a job to clean up after the belt tore into the filter.
Just a couple of thoughts and suggestions here.
Great Job, can't wait to hear how that puppy flys!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Registered

Thanks Ray. That is the only place the filter can go. In a 22ft boat I am trying to put 10 gallons of sh$t in a 5 gallon bucket. The rear of the motor is full and I did not like the remote mount. I am a little worried about the belt deal, but I have only broken one on my old motor due to the rear seat flexing into the belt. This engine has way more clearance in the front than the 496.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 4,806 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Thats gonna fly! NICE SET UP!
I almost cried when you painted the blower black thou.
Shiny= gooder
Old 02-18-2010, 05:55 AM
Registered

Thanks Mitch for letting us see your nice project and pictures,one thing I hope I can ask you and Ray aboat is the motor engine mount,I`m using the original bracket/base assembly foot myself,but is it strong and stiff enough,thanks.
Bjorn.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Thats gonna fly! NICE SET UP!
I almost cried when you painted the blower black thou.
Shiny= gooder
I here you but, I got real tired of polishing the old one. With the black I can wipe it down and go.
Bjorn, I am using my stock mounts that came from Eliminator. As small as my boat is it wont see any offshore time. I am not sure when you need to go to the offshore style mount. Maybe some one will chime in.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered

Same here,not sure,interesting to hear,hope it will come some opinions on this,and thanks again Mitch real fun to follow you thru your way with motor and rigging.
Bjorn.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Registered

Great looking motor! I can't imagine 955hp in a 22ft boat! That'll be one awesome adrenaline rush! Good luck, can't want to see this thread progress...
Old 02-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow! Great job. I cant wait to hear how it runs.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Registered

Thanks fellas. I will post some pore pics after the weekend. As far as how it should run, I have my estimates. 496HO stock 425hp 28 Bravo labbed = 80MPH. Whippled and Raylared 496HO 655hp 32 Bravo labbed = 100mph. 4.0 Whippled 540 955hp = ? Any guesses?
I now have a 1:36 IMCO shorty. I had a 1:50 Sportmaster shorty. I hpe to keep using my 32 or 34 labbed bravo's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.