Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

116mph

Be safe!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

502 Magnum:

My thoughts on a front and rear mount is this. If you have got a bigger than lets say 28 footer, which you have and you are putting the boat in bigger blue water I would seriously considering using a racing type front mount to angle plates bolted thru the stringers and a rear engine plate between the back of the block and the bellhousing and then also bolt this plate to angle brackets thru bolted to the stringers. This 4 point rigid mounting will assure the motor does not shift on stock Mercruiser type lord mounts. These mounts can allow the engine to shift enough under hard impacts and damage the coupler and drive alignment.
On the thinner wall blocks like the 496, we have actually seen quite a few cases where the shift is so large it punches the motor mount to block adaptor right thru the side of the block into the water jacket! Obviously, end of block!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raylar

I`v got it and agree with you in your thoughts,but I got a little problem here,I do not like the stiff big plates of the racing mounts bolted right on to the stringers without any play,and I do not like the original Merc mounts, when the motors gets strong ,it must bee possible to make a more practical engine mounts to get the engines inn and out of the boats and for adjustments as well,something to think aboat ? Thanks,and have a nice day.

Bjorn.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Registered

What about the jet boat type rail mount system. I think these allow adjustment.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Registered

The beast is breathing. I got the tail pipes in from IMCO and the were a perfect fit. I cut out my old 4" exhaust tip holes to 4.5" and installed the new tips. I fired the engine on the hose and she sounds sweet. I do not think my neighbors like it as much as I do . I need to mount a few small things, add a couple of more gauges, finish the revamp of my hood and I think I am ready for the lake.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Good looking rig. The motor with the carbon fiber accents looks great. One of my friends had the older 22 hull with a blackhawk drive. It would run GPS 94 with a bone stock 502 Mag. One of my favorite boats of all time. The thing was a rock at high speed. I'm sure that with the right set up yours will be good at triple digits. Congratulations, Eric
Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 AM
Registered

Yes,
very nice and clean,fun to see,I have to say it ! take care.
Bjorn.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Registered

Well, I finally made it to the lake late friday afternoon. After running it around to check hoses, gauges, oil temp etc my buddy and I started doing some testing. It cruises at 80mph at about 3500 rpm. It accelerates like a mad man from any speed to any speed. The 1.35 gear ratio and the big motor made a completely different boat out of the 22. It planes out very easily and loafs along at 90 to 100. We made a couple of hard runs and it ran between 125 and 128 at 5800 rpm. I have a 120 mph speedo, so I am having to guess at the top numbers. I was running just enough trim to pick the bow up so, I think she will do 130 with no problem. I had one fitting that leaked a little oil, and it was starting to get dark so I will return next week. I have a video from his I-phone and a picture or two to post tomorrow.
It looks like all the effort was worth it
Old 04-11-2010, 10:54 AM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Very nice,
Old 04-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Registered

The picture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.