Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water Pressure relief Valve >

Water Pressure relief Valve

Notices

Water Pressure relief Valve

Old 04-11-2002, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, JDNCA1 and myself are both hoosier boys. I see that nitrous bottle in the background on Cannons boat. What a wild looking motor. It looks like it could be a tuners deilght with all of those regulators. Corydon Indiana is way down there in good old boy land. Of course anything south of hwy 30 is good old boy land. Post a picture sometime of Gary's pressure control valve set up. I like to see other ways of skining the cat. What do you think JDNCA, that nitrous bottle is getting me thinking. 150 HP at the push of a button for triple digit radar runs! It may be in the Wette Vette's future. I will only tell after we go side by side from about 45 MPH.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannon's motor............

is pretty much a pro mod motor set up for low rpm. Check out the split dominators and custom intake. I could probably buy a house with the money he spent on his heads. Scotty is a pretty cool guy. Last summer he raced this 36 skater with 1650 apiece. The Skater ran 180. Alcohol injected back barrels. It took a while for it to get stretched out compair to a single engine like Scotty's.
Attached Thumbnails Water Pressure relief Valve-skater-crop.jpg  
Old 04-11-2002, 10:30 PM
Registered

MikeHTM;

I run a mechanical gaffrig water pressure guage plumbed directly into the block. I just dont trust electrical units anymore..Unfortunately I won't be at cumberland (or anywhere) over the fourth...WEDDINGS, the better half would kick my ass if I missed her sisters so......I'll be at the lake!!! Just kidding. I will be @ cumberland over Memorial day, none-the-less I'd like to meet you sometime..never been around any HTM's.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:53 PM
Registered

Default I agree on the electrical gauges...

but the gauges on my boat have the HTM logo and the only water pressure gauge Steve had was an electric one. Looks pretty. I just couldn't find a sending unit to match the gauge. Got one close though. Whatever it reads I just double it. I really just use it to make sure I do have pressure. Bummer about the 4th. If you get any vacation come down to our lake. It's about 435 miles from Louisville to where I live. By car it takes about 6.5 hours.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:52 PM
Registered

WETTE VETTE or MIKEHTMSR24,
Do you think that WETTE VETTE's system would work with a stock 454 with a recirculating pump and a thermostat? It's a '97 carbed 454 with way to much water pressure, 35+. The pressure is taken off the side of the block with a mechanical gauge.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 04-17-2002, 11:00 PM
Registered

Default something ain't right

A stock motor w/ rec. pump with water pressure problems. What exhaust does he have. Maybe the the exhaust is the hold up.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:09 PM
Registered

Mike,
I'm running Merc/Gill exhaust. The pressure was the same with the stock exhaust manifolds.
Dan
Old 04-18-2002, 09:03 AM
Registered

It should work, but with the stock set up there shouldn't be pressure problems unless there is something obstructing water flow out of the motor. How are your temperatures? Do the exhaust have one or two water lines running to them? I have seen guys run both outlets on from the motor to only the bottom line on the manifold and this could cause high pressure. On merc set-ups they run the bypass to the bottom, and the thermostat to the elbow of the exhaust. The bypass keeps the exhaust cool when the motor is cold, and when the thermostat opens that water dumps into the elbow and all of the water exits through the exhaust. It is unusual, but the holes in your collector where the water mixes with the exhaust could be to small or plugged with contamination. I would verify some of these things before dumping water like a lot of guys are doing that are running crossovers. I would hate to see you not put enough water into your exhaust for cooling and burn the rubber where your exhaust tip and collector come together. And remember less pressure will force less water into your exhaust. If the point where the exhaust / water mixes is the restriction, it should be resolved there. Drill a couple more holes and test it out. On my boat my exhaust exits under water when the boat isn't on plane. I was testing different methods and starved my exhaust and burned a hole in the rubber. Basically the boat was taking on water whenever I came off of plane. Luckily I was on a small lake and the ramp was nearby. No prob, just a little scary.

Last edited by WETTE VETTE; 04-18-2002 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:15 AM
Registered

Thanks for the ideas. I only have one hose going from the thermostat housing to the manifold and then the bypass hose from the manifold to the tailpipe. I am going to give Gill a call and see if I should run to lines to the exhaust.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 04-18-2002, 09:33 AM
Registered

Can you post a picture? Are there two lines teed together from the motor to one and then one line going to the bottom of the exhaust? Then on your exhaust there is a line that connects the tailpipe to the manifold?

Quick Reply: Water Pressure relief Valve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.