Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Insurance on TWINS!!!, (single engine guys need not reply) >

Insurance on TWINS!!!, (single engine guys need not reply)

Notices

Insurance on TWINS!!!, (single engine guys need not reply)

Old 11-04-2002, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a really hard time getting insurance. Im 23 now, but 21 when I bought the boat. I talked to a bunch of different recommended places, and they didnt turn me down, but the standard response was "we dont have a market for that boat and your age range". Finally got insurance through the same as my car and homeowners @ 540/yr. 27' baja, twin 350 mags
Old 11-04-2002, 09:17 AM
DonMan

I`ve had State Farm since 1981. Numerous claims over the years on my cars, mostly hail damage (I live in Texas). One claim on my house (wood floor buckled from water damage). They have always been very good to me. I have my house, 3 cars and my boat with them. I made one claim last year on my boat. I lost/someone stole my custom canvas cover. I made one phone call, got a check in the mail 5 days later for full amount of a new cover!

Old 11-04-2002, 09:26 AM
wms

I just don't get it?? I have long time friends who I grew up boating with and they write insurance. Even do business with one of them. Nobody would touch me as soon as I said the boat had 850hp - PQ 340. And I mean nobody, not Allstate, SF, Nationwide, etc. How can they turn me down when I see that they are insuring all you guys. That really pisses me off.

Had to go with Total Dollar. Just got my renewal....it went up 100 bucks to $1800. At least that is better than the $3K quotes I was getting from the other big boys.

Old 11-04-2002, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what keeping me from buying bigger right now. PAyment, slip, gas, no problem, but its the extra $300 a month for the freakin insurance thats make me say screw it.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:39 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1993 Sonic 31ss with 300's.... $1000...Great Lakes
Old 11-04-2002, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have not gotten insurance on her yet for one simple reason
***** is not running yet so im waiting.
I did however get a quote from my insurance broker. $641 per year with 1000 deductibles.
engines are insured separately from boat.
we shall see what happens in the spring if this tub is actually going to run and float or not.
Since I have the im not giving up attitude, Im hoping I'll be out there in the spring.
Jason
Old 11-05-2002, 08:30 AM
Registered

DonziZX and STATE FARM boys....are your boats insured for agreed value or book value at time of loss?

My quotes were all over the place for for a 2001 PQ 280. Boat us 4200.00. WTF that isn't even close to the other quotes from companies that don't like to insure boats. I finally got a hold of a State Farm agent that said we will insure it as long as it's not one of those Cigarette boats. I asked what is a Cigarette boat (to see her answer) Her reply: you know, the boats the drug runners use. WTF, nice analogy. She called the underwriter and they looked PQ up on the web and said it was still considered HP but would write it as long as I had a good driving record.

Moral is they binded coverage and asked for pics. I'm waiting for the cancel notice!!

For those of you that have SF are they insuring book value or agreed value? She told me they WILL NOT insure anything but book value. I'm a bit concerned about this!

300k coverage 59k value with trailer 500.00 yr.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:29 PM
Registered

WENT TO STATE FARM FOR A QUOTE ON MY CARY 50 w/QUAD 420s, THEY COULDN'T TYPE IN 4 ENGINES SO THEY WOULDN'T EVEN QUOTE ME ANY NUMBERS AND THE AGENT I WENT TO HAS A 40 SOMETHING SEA RAY AND KNOWS BOATS. I'M WITH ALLSTATE AND THEY HAVE BEEN GREAT. (NO REAL CLAIMS YET, HOPE NOT TO NEED TO MAKE ANY)
Old 11-06-2002, 12:48 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Originally posted by hi-perf-2000
No problem Jay......glad it worked out !!! . I'll hold you to the beer and the race
Jay.
Watch he don't fall on his face.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:50 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by pwrbotr
DonziZX and STATE FARM boys....are your boats insured for agreed value or book value at time of loss?

For those of you that have SF are they insuring book value or agreed value? She told me they WILL NOT insure anything but book value. I'm a bit concerned about this!
Insured for agreed value
Replacement cost of 116,00 for the boat and motors and 6,000 for the trailer.
I am looking at the renewal from State farm as I type
less then a grand a year with 500 ded on everything.

Btw, this is on a Cat with stock twin motors with both my pictures and thier own personal up close pics on file.
Not to metion the smile on my agents face both times I took him for a ride.

Quick Reply: Insurance on TWINS!!!, (single engine guys need not reply)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.